Just reformatted HD, now USB ports won't work???

bdub84

Baseband Member
So I just built my new PC less than a month ago. When I put XP on I had no problems with my USB ports not working. So last night, I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows. At first, the USB's worked. I was using my keyboard and mouse no problem. But after installing my chipset drivers (i think this is when it started) and rebooting, none of my USB devices work. My mouse laser and USB hub come on when I reboot, but shut off as soon as the first windows xp screen comes up. Any ideas? Are there any generic drivers I can use?

check in device manager to c if there are n e yellow ! ova them

if there are right click them and choose either uninstall or delete and reboot your pc

I am at work, so I can't exactly try right now, but I know that half of them under USB in device manager DO in fact have the yellow [!] over them. So just uninstall/delete those and rebbot? I'll give it a try later. Hopefully it works! Thanks for the input.

yep right click the usb in device manage all that have yellow ! ova them and when u right click it will either say uninstall or delete i cnt member,

@brynf_uk - he may well do but old drivers would still aloow him to use the usb ports for keyboard mouse etc

is usb enabled in the bios?
also try uninstalling the drivers then re installing the latest ones from scratch

I uninstalled them all and rebooted. Everything is now working fine! Thanks to ssc and everyone else for their input.

Back
Top Bottom