Just a little help please :)

amanat69

In Runtime
Hi,

I am going to buy a new processor because at present i have a 2.93GHz Pentium 4 @ 1mb L2 Cache. My processor is po0. I'm going to go for the 3200+ I think. It's cheap and reviews tell me that it's very very good. I also hear that the 3200+ won't bottleneck my Nvidia 6800GT graphics card. Nonetheless, I was looking at memory and motherboards and came across a slight problem. I saw a top end motherboard with SLI and all the rest. But when choosing memory I noticed you could get high end memory that is pc4800 instead of standard pc3200. I know that this runs faster, etc. But how do I know which motherboard is compatible with 'new generation' RAM and AMD 64's. I would really appreciate if someone could advise me on the whole topic and tell me what I should do. I wouldn't mind someone showing me which mobo I should buy. At the moment, I haven't got the cash for high end memory, I just want to know what's compatible. I have about £300 and I'm getting the 3200+ for £110. This leaves me with 190 on the mobo. But I basically have 300 for a mobo and a processor if ya get me. Oh, and I probably need to buy a windows installer disc to get rid of my preinstalled packard bell one lol. So that's pushed my budget up to about £325.

Many thanks,

Amanat Takhar

P.S. Yes I am a PC gamer and I use word processing, please don't start on the AMD vs. Intel. I understand that AMD is better . *I'm not rude* tee hee. ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED

Ahh good switch to the AMD! Most sites list the specs of the mobos so you'll know what ram will be compatable, be sure not to get DDR2 because AMD's dont support it! Not sure what you mean by "new gereration" ram, the 16-bit ram? Anyways amd is compatable with all DDR ram to my knowledge. And dont spend 190 on the mobo!!!! Get a better AMD processor and spend less fort he mobo the processor is far more imporatant!

What processor should I go for then? What speed? And what make of mobo? Asus?

Amanat Takhar

I'm not good with currency conversion. Is that British pounds? If so, USD would be $520. Hmmm for a motherboard and CPU. Let's see what I can come up with. I don't think you can buy from this site because you are overseas but you'll get the idea as to which make and model to get on other websites:

ABIT AN8-ULTRA Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127212

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103529

I like Abit motherboards which is why I recommend that one. There are other good ones too like MSI, Asus, and DFI.

Back
Top Bottom