Just joined today. First question.

1nitwit

Beta member
Let me say that I am looking forward to reading threads on this forum. I should learn a lot (if I can at my age. :( ).

Built my first computer recently. From parts suggested by our IT guy. Assembled the computer desk, and realized I still hadn't bought a UPS. No place to plug in my speakers. Arrr. IT suggested around 800ish. Looking at the APC website I see that there are 4 series, 2 for home computer, 2 for business computers. The best value ES series for home tops out at 750VA while the best value for business CS series tops out at 650VA.

Then we have the 2 high performance series. The home LS series goes to 700 while the RS business tops out at 1500VA. So it seems the IT is suggesting a high performance business UPS. He is very knowledgeable, but I have to ask if 800VA is really necessary for me?

Don't know what information you need to answer, but I built it using a 500 watt EarthWatt power supply, an M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard and a GeForce 9600 video card. Is that enough info to make a good suggestion?

I was going to go with the ES750 at less than $90. One place carries the RS800 (high performance business) for less than $130, while the LS 700 (high performance home) is about $10 more. I believe the LS and RS series are capable of increasing low voltage to maintain an even output to the peripherals. How important is this?

Thanks in advance.

Here is the deal with any UPS. In an IT environment, a UPS is going to have a lot more importance than with a general household environment. You should be ok with 650VA. The main reason to have a UPS in the first place is to be able to do a shutdown safely in case of a power failure. Other than that, you basically have a surge protector sitting there with a battery in it.

Thanks, FM. You've just save me some money. I'll put it into my wife's Christmas present. :D

Back
Top Bottom