just a info question about cpu's

rai02rai

Solid State Member
i have a intel celeron 2.6 cpu size is 478 ( came from a dell dimension 2400) wanna replace the board so i can install a graphics card. im kinda dumb to the hardware part though. when i look for boards there all lets say, p4 cards or presscott? that really makes no since to me. do i have to get a board where the specs say celeron or will a p4 board work or what. trying to get a pci-express board for a pci-express video card (from what im told thats better than agp right?) so i can hook up and use my hdtv as a monitor with the dvi slots with a crisp picture. I know its a stupid question and believe me i've been doing my research, thats the only thing that doesn't make since to me. thanks guys in advance

if uve got that cpu, any mobo with a socket 478 should work with it. dowload a programme called CPU-Z. you can ifnd this at :

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

This will tell you the code name of your cpu (maybe prescott or northwood with ur cpu) this will let you find out more things about it.

hope this helps ;)

yesterday

I thought we went over this yesterday you...
if the cpu is a sockt 478, and the board is, then they WILL work.

my bad aces, was just doing more research and was reading about the pci express video cards. from what i was reading they were better, am i wrong? everything we were talking about yesterday was for agp. but you answered my question though and i appreciate that. What do you think about the pci express cards, are they worth it?

at the moment the only way to tell the dif between PCI-E and agp vid cards is in new, new games like half life two. and even in hl2 you can HARDLY tell the difference. Unless your a real hardcore gamer and have the money, PCI-E isnt really that great of an investment, because the only thing that can barely utilize its speed right now is very high end games. in the future, in games like morrowind IV and others you may be able to see a difference. PCI-E is the wave of the future but if i remeber right, your not really gonna game? so PCI-E isnt really that big of a deal.

Also PCI-e is used mainly in video cards and nothing else. So I'm wasting all those space. I have tons of PCI cards that I could use but cannot because of the PCI-e slots.

"cough" Ahem "cough"...

Just because the sockets match doesn't mean the chip will run in the board. Make sure what ever board you get will support a celeron cpu chip...
Do your homework BEFORE you buy.

Back
Top Bottom