just got my new lappy dell 1520

convergecult

In Runtime
so i just got my new laptop today and it i was wondering how big of a difference i will see if i buy a 2gig stick of ram and bring it up to 3 gigs? it is running vista home premium.
i installed oblivion on it and damn it plays amazing on high settings. im getting 85fps on my bench mark test...i think that is pretty good. anyway also is there a n easy way to recover the damn 10 gigs that dell uses as a recovery partition ?

yh i think if u download acronis drive manager.

u should be able to do it,

my vista partition on my laptop wouldnt shrink for anything in partition magic and the built in vista but acronis did the job

no one else knows? i know my graphics card has 256 dedicated and up to 1 gig shared i think adding another gig of ram would help but i just wanted a second opinion

Nah, don't do it. I'm 99% sure you have the 32 bit version of Vista, and 32 bit OS's don't handle over 2 GB of memory very well.

not true 32 bit OS support 3.25GB RAM so u would be ok then and if your g card hogs like 768 Mb RAM off your pc then yh it would be a good idea to get 3Gb not essential but if u can afford it y not.

also do u have 4 slots or 2 ? im assuming u have 2Gb at mo with 2 X 1 GB sticks and if pos buy another 2 X 512Mb sticks to keep it running in dual channle but if u only have 2 slots then it shud b fine to take out 1 of the gig sticks and ass a 2Gb

yea i was going to put a 2 gig stick in soon. im also thinking of just doing a reformat and install a clean version of vista to get all the dell shit off

Nah, don't do it. I'm 99% sure you have the 32 bit version of Vista, and 32 bit OS's don't handle over 2 GB of memory very well.

not true 32 bit OS support 3.25GB RAM so u would be ok then and if your g card hogs like 768 Mb RAM off your pc then yh it would be a good idea to get 3Gb not essential but if u can afford it y not.

also do u have 4 slots or 2 ? im assuming u have 2Gb at mo with 2 X 1 GB sticks and if pos buy another 2 X 512Mb sticks to keep it running in dual channle but if u only have 2 slots then it shud b fine to take out 1 of the gig sticks and ass a 2Gb

Actually you both are correct. Depending on your motherboard and bios revision you will see different amounts ranging from 2.85gb to 3.25gb. Certain boards and bios will show 3.25gb and some will only show 2.85gb.

10 gigs for recovery?!?! OMG, that's probably what I'll be facing too. Mine is still in production. It's 160GB drive so I probably won't miss 10GB. If I were you, I would just leave that alone in case you need to reinstall everything. But you should also recieve a separate Recovery disc too right? From what I understand, it should come with Vista Home Premium disc, drivers disc, and other third party discs too.

yea it came with all the disks. i am not to worried about it but i was just a shocker that it was that much. i kinda need the space i mean i put wow on it andit took up 7.45 gigs alone...

Actually, it is true. You'd need to add the /3GB switch in the boot.ini. 99% of users don't know to do this. You need it because without it, you can only use up to 2 GB for programs, the rest will only be allocated to the OS.

Back
Top Bottom