just formatted my hdd *help needed*

ace933

Solid State Member
Hi there im new to this board for one, and ive been kicking myself since yesterday ive recently formatted my HDD its been re partitoned and its been re formated after the partiationing. im now trying to install windows but it doesnt detect my dvd rom drive everything else as far as i can tell is fine ive done chkdsk and scandisk its all good but when i try to input the setup command (if im doing it correct) it tells me that its a bad file name :confused: ive try'd (drive letter):\>setup:

(drive letter):\>setup
(drive letter):\>setup.exe
(drive letter):\>\win98\setup.exe
(drive letter):\>\winme\setup.exe

so i think thats onething that im doing wrong.. so if anyone can tell me what the actual command is for normal ms-dos it would be apprciated alot. also is there anyway that i can install a driver for the dvd rom drive in dos?

Is your cd/dvd drive on that part, one set as slave, and one set as master? If not..it will not detect them sometimes, it may have worked before, but the reformat may have set it up in a storm.

ok, its D:\I836\setup.exe i believe, type windows me setup into google to check that one im not sure.

Or do this:

CD D:\

CD D:\I836

SETUP.EXE

OR WINNT.EXE

one of the two, just google it, thats how i learned.

Which operating system is it?

ive already set my cd drive to master, and i will try the other suggestions guys, thank you very much i will give it a go. there is not OS on there at the moment, so its a clean install. but it will be a win xp build. so the base system will be 98 or me

Dont use me... For your sake... its prob one of the worst OSes ever made.... the memory manager is Horriable... HORRIABLE!!! lol but yeah dont...

OK, like he said, me is a bad choice, but if you use 98 i dont see why you couldnt just put in a 98 boot disk and install from there, the 98 boot disk has cd drivers ready when you go from it, and you can install 98 from there, if you dont have a 98 bootdisk, go to bootdisk.com download the 98 bootdisk creater and make one, then pop it in, get to the c:/ prompt, put in the 98 or me (not a good choice) cd's and type setup.exe, or find the directory were it is and CD to that directory then put setup.exe.

so if i do that it should solve the issue with the cd rom drive? if im thinking about it rightly. well im off to go have ago at that now to i know that me is a bad option.

thank you

yes Windows Me bites, i know people who used this OS, and it had nothing but errors, i would if money permits, to move up to windows xp, it's more stable & if you know how to tweak it correctly, it can be a great OS. just be sure to patch all the exploits too.

Spec said:
but the reformat may have set it up in a storm.

what do you mean in a storm ?

ive try'd all the things you guys have suggested and alas to no avial i think it maybe just be that the drive has had it i dont know.

This will make you laugh, after all of that, i was doing it all right in the first place and what advice you have gave was great too, but you know what the issue was?

dam IDE cable wasnt attached to the motherboard dam it! lol, ive solved the it now and its all working up and running. and to treat myself i got wireless networking which i was able to set up just fine. thanks again guys your a great help :)

Back
Top Bottom