Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-26-2007, 01:10 AM   #41
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: Just Dual booted problem

how big is your HDD? cause if it is over i think 127GB and you bios dosent have large HDD detection than sometimes GRUB gets installed on the part your bios cant read. had this happen to me simple fix though with a windows cd.

Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:16 AM   #42
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

It can't be fixed with an XP disk though as that does not have the required GRUB loader.

My best guess would be to get an ISO of like home premium (what ever bit you have) and see if you can boot off of it to do the repair mentioned in the link I gave you.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:34 AM   #43
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
It can't be fixed with an XP disk though as that does not have the required GRUB loader.

My best guess would be to get an ISO of like home premium (what ever bit you have) and see if you can boot off of it to do the repair mentioned in the link I gave you.
you shouldnt need GRUB to dual boot 2 windows partitions(spelled it right finally)
i know from having vlite that vista's boot manager is different and is not backwards compatible. in order to get into the older boot menu you must click "previous version of windows" on the vista menu. therefore if the xp boot agent boots first it cannot detect the installation of vista thats why he isnt getting an option. if it boots from the Vista partition i thought it would load up its boot agent. apparently not though
Old 06-26-2007, 01:48 AM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
you shouldnt need GRUB to dual boot 2 windows partitions(spelled it right finally)
i know from having vlite that vista's boot manager is different and is not backwards compatible. in order to get into the older boot menu you must click "previous version of windows" on the vista menu. therefore if the xp boot agent boots first it cannot detect the installation of vista thats why he isnt getting an option. if it boots from the Vista partition i thought it would load up its boot agent. apparently not though
Yes, but that only happens when XP is the first OS on the comptuer. Since vista was first on his, things are different. Particularly because Vista uses GRUB to boot.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:50 AM   #45
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Yes, but that only happens when XP is the first OS on the comptuer. Since vista was first on his, things are different. Particularly because Vista uses GRUB to boot.
i was unaware that vista used GRUB so i would belive that would work
Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 AM   #46
Site Team

Re-reading my sources, it might not be GRUB Vista uses, but it defiantly is different than that of XP.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:10 AM   #47
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

Yeah it was causing too much trouble. I just copped out and re-installed Vista. Thank you for all the help Rudster and celegorm, and rep is coming your way.
Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #48
Golden Master

If you format the XP partition in the install, then turn the laptop off, it should have only one boot active...I think.

lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote