Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default just curious

hi, i was just wondering why computer games manufacturers state that certain games won't run on a laptop despite the fact the laptop meets the specs of the game is it because latops arent designed for gaming or is there another explanation.

Matt

ilovepcs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to jikifreak
Default Re: just curious

Well it also comes down to the graphics capabilities of certain laptops. Some gaming laptops have great graphics cards to handle the game, but most have either built in graphics, or weak cards like 8400-M etc. Laptops are not really meant for gaming even if they meet the requirements because of the power usage. Desktops can use high wattage PSU's to power hi-end graphics cards, where a laptop...well, just cant thats why laptops will never be the main gaming machine in PC land.

Your options would be to buy a gaming laptop from Dell or Alienware that can handle gaming. A buddy of mine has one from Alienware and can play most of todays games at decent speeds...although it cost him 3 grand for it LOL

Rosewill Conqueror|ASRock A780GXE AM2+|Phenom II X4 940@3.0Ghz Stock|Zalman 9900|8GB G.Skill DDR2 800|OCZ StealthXStream 700W|XFX Ati Raedeon 5770 1gb GDDR5 DX11|16X Samsung DVD-RW|360GB(SATA), 40GB(SATA), 160GB(SATA), 200GB(IDE) 500GB External(USB 2.0)|Windows 7 64Bit|19inch LCD Widescreen at 1400X900 Resolution via DVI|
jikifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Ronspc

beatin^ +1

WWW.INSANITECHPC.COM
Ronspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
In Runtime

Because laptops are generally not meant for gaming, unless you shell out over 2000$ to get a gaming laptop like alienware. When they design the games, they make it primarily for desktops, not laptops. They are going to say it wont run just to be safe. That's the only reason i can think of.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

@ronspc - what i asked was why games manufacturers say a game wont run on a laptop even though the laptop meets the minimum specs im not stating a game because most games ive tried have worked.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

Because in desktops we can get massive dedicated graphics cards. But it would be next to impossible to get a massive 4890 or GTX295 in a laptop.

Ok well I think I can answer that. I believe majority of gaming manufactures have a set scale. Like a line that says has to meet these requirements to work at recommended settings. Your computer might be able to run it but not at the reccommended settings the manufacturer suggested. Haven't you noticed how now a days game's usually say something like Recommended settings and now Minimum Settings. Its possible that your computer (laptop) only meets the Minimum settings, which at the end of the day will play the game. But not at recommended levels. Hope that helps...

WWW.INSANITECHPC.COM
Old 07-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

thanks for the replies so far i always use the can i run it tool before i buy a game to be certain but as of right now ive only got a laptop as my desktop has been lent to someone.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

does my above answer help out at all

WWW.INSANITECHPC.COM
Old 07-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
Daemon Poster

yeah it does thanks, so if im right the games might run but they might crash or freeze or have other issues?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #10
Daemon Poster

exactly.

I remember when I purchased Flight Simulator X it ran but not at optimal settings. Probably just barely over minimum hah

WWW.INSANITECHPC.COM