Just bought a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme

OTSS

In Runtime
Temps are worse at idle and better with load. I tried to overclocking to 3.4Ghz and idle temps are around 60C with load temps around 68C. Shouldn't I get way better temps than this? Also Prime95 fails even at 3.2Ghz and within second at 3.4Ghz. I don't understand why my temps are so damn high. Even 2.4Ghz my temps were around 40C.

BTW I also have a 120mm Fan attached to the Heatsink so thats why I am even more confused at my temps.

This is what I just did
FSB is 400
Multi is 8x
Voltage is 1.45 (may be high I donno)
3.2Ghz Load
2.4Ghz Idle (speedstep)

Idle temps =
51C
51C
47C
46C

Load Temps =
63C
63C
58C
58C

Prime95 Running and I will leave it on all night.

I got the technicians at the computer store to do it because there warranty is only good if one of them does it.

Load temps on new setup
FSB = 356
Multiplier is 9x
Voltage is 1.3
Total 3.2Ghz

Load temp =
56C
56C
52C
51C

So far these are temps I will not leave Prime95 on all night. Maybe the longer it is in there the better it will get? Who knows I will check back in morning.

I got the technicians at the computer store to do it because there warranty is only good if one of them does it.

If I was you, I'd definitely take it off and see if they actually installed it properly. And apply AS5.

I agree, something is not right there. Take it back and tell them you're not happy if it affects your warranty if you remove it. If however you have no warranty concerns then I'd suggest remove it and check the base for flatness, it may require lapping. Mine had a ridge running parrallel to the heatpipes that was quite pronounced.

You say that it has a 120mm fan "attached to the heatsink" do you have any idea of the brand or rpm/cfm ratio etc? How is it set up, blowing air through the cooler?

Even at 3.6GHz my idle is below 40°C (37-37-35-35), load only just breaks 60°C (61-61-58-58) with an ambient room temperature of ~25°C.

I know for sure it is installed with arctic silver 5 because I bought it and told them to install the original heatsink and fan with it. Then I brought the tube back when they installed the thermalright and told them to use the tube again. So it is installed with AS5.

This is the fan I bought
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX1069(ME).aspx

I mounted the fan on the backside of heatsink blowing straight out the back of the case. Should it be on the frontside blowing through the heatsink?

Also it seems to have improved a bit overnight running Prime95
Load temps are
56C
56C
51C
50C

Running at 3.2Ghz
It is doing better than my first attempts at overclocking. Plus no errors like it did the first time as well. I will leave it at this setting for awhile then see if I can get up to 3.4Ghz later.

This is my current settings.
FSB 356
Multi 9x
Voltage 1.3

What should my setting be to get it up to 3.4Ghz?

I mounted the fan on the backside of heatsink blowing straight out the back of the case. Should it be on the frontside blowing through the heatsink?
The fan should be facing the front of the case blowing through the back. Like this:
Sorry, I'm not too good with the brush in paint, but you get the idea.

Another thing I did to improve temps was change Case fan in back from low to high setting. This is how all my fans are installed.
Back:
Set to high blowing out of the case.
Front:
1 setting blowing in to case.
Heatsink:
Mounted on back of heatsink blowing to back of case.

EDIT: Just seen worshipme's post
I will remount that fan then. It just might be a little hard because it is kinda tight on the inside of case. I will find a way to do it though

Back
Top Bottom