Jumpers Help

Well...if its dead then only professionals could do it. I'd mean taking out the platters and putting them into another drive...

As for the data, if its just died, like motors gone, or drive readers gone, the data will still be competly intact as long as the drive reader didn't fall on the platters if it crashed for instance. It'd still be recoverable though by them.

LAST RESORT

Nope never heard of that phrase.

One thing I tried which I read about as a last resort was to put the hard drive in a freezer for a few hours. What this is supposed to do is enlarge parts of the drive a bity to allow more access for movement if somethings stuck, or its a little fault like that.

It could then be repeated a few times until all the data needed was off...

Don't worry about condensation by the way. A drive is compelty sealed, though you should definetly wipe it and make sure none is on the outside and near the power.

Once thats done, you could try it.
By the way, I only read about this method working, as mine didn't...it still sat there going "and what am i meant to do now?...". Luckily i didn't lose that much, though it seems worse for you.

If its really a last resort, you could try it, as you might as well having nothing to lose, unless it is important enough to send off to technicians, and in which case, you shouldn't.

Well frankly I dont have thousands of bucks, but it is that important...its so devastating, but we're poor, so we really didnt have time or money for back up. I guess we did screw ourselves, but still... I guess I could try the freezer thing. If anyone else has any half assed ways that might some how help us, please...help. Im probably really done, but thanks anyway.

Thanks for being so understanding Kage, and thanks for taking the time to help.

No probs :) I have heard the freezer thing can work in some circumstances though. Just do a search of it in google. Maybe 'Hard drive Freezer' or something like that.

Thats honestly the only way I can think of except for sending it off. Is it a company drive?

I hope you do find a way

It's a western digitaql drive, and it's not even that old. It just- poof, died. Luck of the draw I guess. Either way Im fucked.

Yeah, we had the same problem with one of there drives.

Then another 3 hard drives went. 1 by them, and 2 made by Maxtor. Turns out my power supply was surging them... I doubt it will be in your case though...

If all else fails, try the last resort. You never know

How does this GetBackData work? I thought once a drive is dead, it cant be accessed unless by pros. This seems to good to be true. Explain the catch.

The catch probably is, it isn't free, but is still much cheaper than going to the pros. I forgot about programs like that. If you are willing to pay, which I think you are, programs like that will get data.

If though it is more a mechanical fault and so the drive is not spinning or anything, then this of course wouldn't help a bit.

Most come with trials to view what it could restore, and then asks you to pay a price to actually restore the data...

Anythings worth a try like i said :p

This is from that site Per put:

Freeze it
One trick I have learned as a technician, when the problem is data-read errors off the platters themselves, is to freeze the hard drive overnight. It makes the data more 'readable,' but for a one-shot deal. If this data is critical, and you have a replacement hard drive (which, if it's a drive failure, you probably do), then you can hook up your frozen hard drive and immediately fetch the data off before it warms up.

See? :p It can make platters spin up and things which might not have done previously. Try programs first though, and if that doesn't work then send it to be cooled

Back
Top Bottom