Jumpers Help

NervousLarry

Baseband Member
If anyone remembers me from last night, I had a problem with an added on hard drive. I just want to know a few questions about jumpers before I mess with them:

-Will pulling out a jumper and re-inserting it clear the memory of the hard drive it's connected to? Or could it possibly screw it up? Or would it simply clear the BIOS of it?

-How do you reset a jumper? Simply by pulling it out and re-inserting?

-What's a CMos battery, and should I even touch it?

I need to know the risks of messing with jumpers, so either I can wait to take it to a comp expert, or just do it now. Time is a factor and I need to get back to my hard drive.

are you the guy that had aproblem with system not recognizing hard drive.
if so dont worry about taking the jumpers off and on lets start again.

make sure you set your bios to default settings just to stop any confusion you can alter things in there later if need be. goto bios it should have this option somewhere.
now take bott drives out make sure that the main drive (master) has the little jumper set to master look on the top of the hard drive it will tell you exactly where the jumper should be. place back in system (not sure what connections you are using here so ill guess at ide cables.place the hard drive in system an put the last ide connection to that drive.
then lets have a look at the slave drive make sure the jumper is set to slave same again it should tell you on the top side of the drive. if these are not set correct it wont recognize them properly.place the drive back in system and put the other ide cable to it.so in effect your ide cinnections go from the board next connection to slave and the futhest one to the master.secure all drive and anything else you may have uncoupled and switch system on. lets see what we get!
hope this makes sense

Yeah and the cmos battery is just a power source, so the mobo can remember your bios settings when you shut your computer off....and if you take it out it resets your bios settings which could come in handy

Ok, sounds simple. But, I NEED to know, will messing with the jumpers destroy any memory or any of my files? I cant afford to wipe the files clean, I NEED THEM, I NEED THE FILES. So, besides clearing the BIOS, what risks are involved in messing with the jumpers?

Right now, XP is saying the drive is a DVD drive, and it isnt at all. Why is it doing that? And will resetting the jumpers and reinstalling it clear this problem? Will my files be OK?

um...

Let's make it a little more simple. MAKE SURE THE SYSTEM IS OFF AND UNPLUGGED FROM THE WALL SOCKET.
The master hard drive jumper should be set to MASTER and be on the primary IDE channel. The drive should be on the connection at the end of the cable.
The DVD/CD drive should be set to slave and connected to the middle connection of the same cable.
The second hard drive should be set as MASTER and on the end of the cable plugged in to the secondary IDE channel.
After that boot up the system and go to the bios. A setting in there allows you to command the bios to search for the drives as they are now.
SAVE AND EXIT

Now an alternate way is after you connect the drives up, Move the CMOS jumper to the CLEAR position and let it sit for about 5 mins. Put the jumper back.
Boot up and go to the bios and do the search for drives command.

Now as for doing damage to your files by doing all this the simple answer is no. But as to what caused this to happen may have been a surge and that could have done some damage.

I posted the same exact meesage on another forum, and the guy said it has nothing to do with the jumpers, and if the computer suddenly messed up during sleep mode, it's because the files have become corrupted or something. Does that sound right? Is the guy correct? Is it the software or hardware?

Fucking Great

Ok, some expert computer guy said my drive is dead, it just stopped working and he doesnt know why. He said Im fucked, unless I either get it physically repaired by some expert for thousands of dollars, or there may be a very slight chance of jarring the drive and brining up the info one last time. It still spins, but no computer is ever allowed access to it, and diagnostic tools only bring up errors. Im fucked so bad, but there's no way to read the data from the disk? At all?

If its dead, its dead. Which could mean the motors daed and isn't spinning, or its spinning but just not reading. both aren't good signs.

If you've tried setting this hard drive as a Slave and running from another one and it still can't detect it, then I'm afraid, yeah its dead :(

if it just won't boot, theres a chance this might work, but it seems dead to me...
Because it doesn't take as much effort to display as a slave than it does to boot...and is your last chance.

As for it being sent off to be repaired, or to get data ripped off it, this is possible, but yeah, you'll pay the premium for it...
I'm sorry

I dont get it, so are the files even there anymore, or were they completely wiped? or is it just they're there, just completely unaccesible? Have you ever heard of jarring it working? And, there's absolutely NO WAY to suck the data somehow from the dead drive?

Windows cant detect the drive, but when we run setup utility before windows boot, it sometimes recognizes it as a hard drive, we just cant access it. Is there some half asses way to magically read it? Like through dos or some shit? We cant do a simple file transfer at Best Buy or anything can we?

Back
Top Bottom