JimHa's Idea to beat the Windows XP activation issue

You can buy a non-registered copy of Windows. It will cost about £2,000 but you can install it on as many computers as you want.

Also I'd highly like it if we stop discussing the finer points of copying Windows XP and forging activation codes or getting around them. Did your other computer not come with Windows XP?

Major updates to the hardware of the computer can be allowed by Microsoft if you phone them up and describe the nature of the upgrade.

JimHa said:
I and I'm sure many others are not happy with the way Microsoft put the activation stuff on windows XP home and pro. I have 2 computers that I've been re-installing windows XP on every 30 days because of the activation. Thanks to this I started researching how the activation works.

In my research I've found out that the way windows activates your windows is it takes down serial numbers, MAC addresses(if possible) and a whole bunch of other unique numbers that I can't remember off the top of my head from the following:

-display adapter
-SCSI adapter
-NIC card
-RAM amount range
-processor type
-processor serial number
-hard drive volume and serial number
-CD-ROM drives .. incuding CD-Rs CD-RWs and DVD-ROMs

These are what tells your windows if your trying to activate your copy of windows XP from a different computer or not. What's good about this system is that you can re-install windows on the activated computer as much as possible. The bad about this system is that one major upgrade on your activated computer and chances are you won't be allowed to activate again. On windows's activation they have what's called a "tolerance" what this means is that the parts that were in your computer when it was activated are the ones that are inspected in that computer every single time you activate. Microsoft understands that parts break down so what they created a system where at least 70% of the computers parts that were in the computer when it was activated must be in there when its going to be re-activated

My idea is to take ONLY the hard drive from the two computers that have windows XP home unactivated and then install that hard drive inside my computer temporarily that I activated windows XP from. From this point I would format the hard drive (which is currently temporarily in the place of my computers real hard drive), install windows XP and then activate it. Than i'd be done and the problems solved.

Do you guys think this could work ? Any suggestions or criticism would be appreciated.

The problem with that would be that Windows would then be configured to that computer, and then if you put it in another computer, it will mess up (its happened to me so many time) as it wont be configured to the other computers hardware

Bad idea mate :)

Also I'd highly like it if we stop discussing the finer points of copying Windows XP and forging activation codes or getting around them. Did your other computer not come with Windows XP?

Okay it won't happen again. Sorry about that.

just use a corporate key code (only works for pro). Its like 100X easier then your idea, but nice try

Well yes - but few people have them, and even if they did they're generally too tight to help other people with them. I get that sometimes, somedays we just don't feel nice :D

Back
Top Bottom