I've screwed up. Majorly.

torrey

Beta member
I recently decided to format over my Vista RC1 beta due to compatibility issues. I was going to install XP Pro, so I loaded the XP disk and followed the instructions and proceeded to format my hard drive (the slow format option). When it was finished formatting and installing the necessary files (like a normal XP install), it rebooted and remained frozen on the motherboard BIOS splash screen. I cannot do anything past this, and if I try to go to the BIOS setup it freezes when saying "entering setup". I don't understand why this occurred while trying to install XP. My motherboard is an Asus P5LD2-VM DH. More specs in signature.

Once you get your sig up it will help a little more, but just off of the info you gave us i have a few ideas.

try re-seating the RAM, its amazing how many problems this fixes. If that doesn't work, see how far the boot up goes when there is no power cord plugged into the hard drive.

if neither of these solves the problem start swapping out any hardware you can, starting with RAM and video card if you have one.

I do not belive this has anything to do with your windows re-format, it just seems to be a serious case of bad timeing.

First, I unplugged the hard drive. The system booted past the BIOS splash screen and onto "Please wait for IDE scan...Device 0: Not Detected Device1: Not Detected" and then onto "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"and it just sits there.
I really don't think that my hard drive is fried. A $200, 6 month old, 400 GB hard drive doesn't just happen to stop working after a Windows re-install.
Edit: Signature info updated.

if taking out the drive makes it go further, then there does seem to be a problem with the drive. What exactly it is idk. Try plugging your hard drive into a different port and see if that helps.

I did that. Then booted up with Hiren's Boot CD 8.7 and managed to get Western Digital's Hard Disk support thing going off of that. Long story short, I am re-installing XP at this very moment. If it actually works or not, will be a surprise for later.

Back
Top Bottom