Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-08-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default I've lost a TB

I purchased a new harddrive today to act as a secondary to my primary HD. so I installed, formatted it and left it unpartitioned. I copied all the data from my primary harddrive to my new terabyte drive. I decided to reinstall windows 7, after the installation was complete I noticed that my new terabyte wasn't there, and was labelled as "unallocated" under disk management. So I right clicked on it and selected New Volume, but I made sure not to format it.
So now when I go to my computer I can see the drive, but its unaccessible because I need to format the drive. How do I recover this data from my new harddrive? Help!!!!

amunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:05 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: I've lost a TB

What filesystem is it formatted under? Are you trying to take it from linux/OSX to windows?

Old 07-08-2010, 03:15 AM   #3
Beta Member

It is under NTFS. And it was windows 7, to windows 7.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Comp_Pro

It's not showing up because it is not formatted, once you format it, it should show up in "My Computer"
Old 07-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp_Pro View Post
It's not showing up because it is not formatted, once you format it, it should show up in "My Computer"
He said in his post he had formatted it but left it as one big partition. Amunz try to find a usb to sata bridge if you dont already have one and try plugging it in to another pc running a different OS, linux or mac.They sometimes will be able to pick up things windows won't and vise-versa.
ACES WILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Beta Member

hey aces wild,thanks for clearing that up. I don't know where I can find a bridge at the moment, but would a enclosure work?

once i plug the hard drive to a different computer what do i do from there? just copy all the data to that computer? how should I have done things differently?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Yea, the enclosure is a bridge. If the other computer lets you access the data put it onto that computer if you have enough space and then try formatting it again and putting the data back onto it so you can put it back into the computer it was supposed to be in.

ACES WILD is offline   Reply With Quote