Its time to start learning hardware...

Draygoes

Fully Optimized
I have focused so much on software that I never really learned the hardware in my own computer.

Does anyone recommend reading material for this, or should I learn through mestakes? I cannot do the latter as I do not have the money, but I am asking just in case.

The Hardware Section on Professor Messer's CompTIA A+ Certification Training Videos will teach you anything you would want to know about PC hardware. I'd recommend you give it a watch. I found it very helpful. Link To Series

I have to agree w/Bk...Google can teach you just about anything you want to learn and there are endless videos on youtube.

Read the book Upgrading and Repairing PC's by Scott Mueller. I've read it through once, and it has literally opened up my knowledge with computer hardware.

Or physically do it, get a couple of secondhand PCs and a switch, strip them down, rebuild them (the front panel LEDs and buttons are the worst!), network them together etc!

What i did was to start making a list for a PC build. I used a danish site called edbpriser.dk
It's kinda like pcpartpicker.com. So i was going shopping for some parts and added them to a list.
Start with the motherboard. Find a motherboard with a modern socket and question every single spec you see in the specification and research the ones you don't know of or fully understand. Then move on to the next part. That's how i got most of me basic knowledge about hardware. And it's fun too.
Make a list for a totally overkill PC. :)

Last edited:
Actually, that was part of my plan. I have been watching a lot of videos lately about high end PC builds, and one even gives a link to a list of parts on Amazon for those who are new and dont know where to find them all.

Google is the best resource, You will find and learn heaps about hardware..

I have to agree w/Bk...Google can teach you just about anything you want to learn and there are endless videos on youtube.

Yes, because googling "computer hardware" doesn't give you a million links to random stuff that likely isn't going to help him.

Anyways, What exactly is it about hardware that you want to know? there's a lot that can fit into the category of "computer hardware" from how it all fits together to how it works.

Back
Top Bottom