Istalling windows !!!

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Istalling windows

option #1

i need to install 2 windows's on my cp, i tried booting from cd, then it gave me options, "istall windoes on a new partition" that what i chouse, and then it told me it cant detect any HDD...i have no idea what its talking about....

option #2

I logged into my current windows set up, imputed the windows CD, the very first option was "Upgrade current windows" or "New Installation(advanced)". for the second option the description is something like (Choose this option to replace current windows or to install windows on a separate disk or partition) offcaurse i chouse the 2nd one, and i kept on clicking next, next,next looking for the option "Create new partisan" or something like that...i never seen it. I got up to the part where it was about to begin windows installation...etc should i just let it install or what? I DONT WANT TO OVERIGHT MY CURRENT WINDOWS !!!

sorry im i made this 2 confusing, but i really need some help

Thanks.

Maybe i need to change something here? or maybe i need to wait untill windows installation starts maybe it will ask me then??? lol i really dont want to erase my current windows : D

untitled.jpg

Are these different versions of Windows?
Is your hard drive one complete partion?
Do you have a second hard drive?

These questions need to be answered. It sound like you are trying to install Windows on top of Windows- which may work (if they are the same).

First, if you only have one hard drive, and it's one complete partion, you need a program that can resize the partition, such as partition magic. Once you split the partion, boot to the CD, and proceed as a normal install, until it gets to the point to install on a different partition- that's when you choose the other partion, and proceed as needed.

Another note: If you're primary OS is Windows XP, and you're trying to install something older, you could run into problems with the boot loader. Microsoft recommends that if you are going to dual boot, you need to install the oldest first, then the newest. Example: if you want to dual boot with Windows 2000 and Windows XP, you should install 2000 first, and then XP.

Is there anything on the D: drive? If not, you'll want to install it by booting to the CD, just like a clean install. Then select the D: drive during the setup process.

This is the same versions of windows, I have 2 400G HDD in a raid 0 config (so its 1 800g HDD) and i dont know if my HDD is one compleate partision or not...

Thanks for the quick response...so now that u know my configz, what do u think i should do?

john123 said:
dude reboot your computer with the cd inside. it should start an install.

"i tried booting from cd, then it gave me options, "istall windoes on a new partition" that what i chouse, and then it told me it cant detect any HDD...i have no idea what its talking about...."

its all in my first post.

2 40GB drives, in a RAID 0 configuration, so the computer sees it as one single 80GB drive. I noticed in your screenshot it showing a D: location. Open up "My Computer" and see how many drives it shows. It should have C:DriveName, D:DriveName, and so on if you have more than one partition. If it is showing a D: drive, make sure you don't have any information on it. If you do, move it to the C: drive, and format the D: drive. Then reboot, with the XP CD in the CD ROM. Proceed as a normal clean installation, until it gets to the point to where to install Windows. At this point, you will need to select the "unpartitioned" space. It may still show as D:. Install it on that drive. Then you should be good to go.

Edit: It may not see the hard drive due to the RAID configuration. You have to press F6 to install 3rd party RAID drivers. Are you using a RAID card? Or is it on-board?

Well i just realized i have to purcsaise this program, it woudnt let me do anything...:( and i dunno if its onboard or not :(

thanks for ur help, unless i can find a similar program thats is free, iguees im stuck 4 now...

untitled-1.jpg

There are a couple of programs out there that are free that should work. Can't think of one right off hand, but I know they exist. Chances are that your RAID configuration is from the on-board. You should have a floppy disk that came with the computer containing the drivers for the RAID setup. You will need those to install the OS. Just look for disk partitioning tools, and you should be able to find something- unless someone here knows of a good, free program- which I'm sure someone does.

Back
Top Bottom