Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
Baseband Member
 
SheikZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 83
Default ISPs

I know that Opera and Firefox are the best out there, but why are there ISPs that you pay for? Is it solely for dial up? or do they do something else?

I have AOL and it seems to increase my internet speed a bit, but I hate it anyway.
__________________

__________________
I hate on Toshiba Haters

"... What I'm trying to say is, if you leave tonight and you don't remember anything else that I've said, leave here and remember this: Procrastinate now, don't put it off." ~Ellen DeGeneres
SheikZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
kjman87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 806
Send a message via AIM to kjman87
Default Re: ISPs

most of them are soley for Dial-up, we used to have AOL but have since gotten Fiber optic...and I have not touched aol since...
__________________

__________________
New Desktop: Core i7 860, EVGA P55 SLI, 2x PNY GTX260s in SLI, Antec Quattro 1kW PSU,4GB XMS3 DDR3-1600, Antec 300 Case, 2xSeagate 500GB, 1TB Samsung
Old Desktop: Intel E8400, Seagate 7200.11 500GB HDD, 320GB WD, 250GB Seagate, Asus 9800GTX+,4GB Corsair Ballistix, Asus P5Q Pro, Antec 500W PSU, 2 19" WS
Laptop: HP dv4-1155se
Car~07 Mazda 3s 5spd 2.3L: Simota CAI, Borla Cat-Back, Cat Delete, Lower Engine Mount, 1.5" Drop...and more...haha
kjman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: ISPs

Those net accelerators don't work. Dialup is slow no matter what so just use what you like.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
LambOfGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
Send a message via MSN to LambOfGod
Default Re: ISPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheikZ
I know that Opera and Firefox are the best out there, but why are there ISPs that you pay for? Is it solely for dial up? or do they do something else?

I have AOL and it seems to increase my internet speed a bit, but I hate it anyway.
What i found helped me when i used dialup was Zonealarm firewall. You can Deny programs access to the internet as it is VERY strict and will tell you every program that is trying to get out. in doing so you can use 100% of your dialup bandwith for the specific application you want to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjman87
most of them are soley for Dial-up, we used to have AOL but have since gotten Fiber optic...and I have not touched aol since...
What do you mean you have Fiber Optic?

Explain a little more please
__________________
LambOfGod- Q6600 g0 @ 3.06 Ghz * DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS * Antec 1200 * Rosewill RP550 PSU * EVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked *WD 74GB Raptor * 2 X Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (RAID 1) * 4 GB DDR2 1022 GSKILL 5-5-5-13 * Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Windows XP 64 Bit
LambOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
Daemon Poster
 
kjman87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 806
Send a message via AIM to kjman87
Default Re: ISPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambOfGod
What do you mean you have Fiber Optic?

Explain a little more please
Sure: Verizon FiOS.
Link: http://www22.verizon.com/content/con...about+fios.htm

It is a broadband internet connection that actually has incredible bandwidth. What it is a fiber optic cable running through to you house where it goes through a photo diode and amp (which the company I work for produces for Verizon, its awesome, I get to work on this stuff first hand) anyway... it has mulitple magnatudes of bandwidth more than a coax cable...I currently get 5MB/s DL and 2 to 2.5MB/s Upload, and we have the lowest rated FTTH (Fiber to the Home)

the website I linked to you should help a bit to...overall you wont really notice to much of a difference between cable and it just because its really only effecting the upload speed...unless you are in a very dense area where many people are using the internet and thats where the extra bandwidth in the fiber comes in handy...

you can actually get your cable TV, Internet, and Phone all on Fiber now from Verizon (atleast where I live)

Its really cool stuff.
__________________
New Desktop: Core i7 860, EVGA P55 SLI, 2x PNY GTX260s in SLI, Antec Quattro 1kW PSU,4GB XMS3 DDR3-1600, Antec 300 Case, 2xSeagate 500GB, 1TB Samsung
Old Desktop: Intel E8400, Seagate 7200.11 500GB HDD, 320GB WD, 250GB Seagate, Asus 9800GTX+,4GB Corsair Ballistix, Asus P5Q Pro, Antec 500W PSU, 2 19" WS
Laptop: HP dv4-1155se
Car~07 Mazda 3s 5spd 2.3L: Simota CAI, Borla Cat-Back, Cat Delete, Lower Engine Mount, 1.5" Drop...and more...haha
kjman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: ISPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjman87
Sure: Verizon FiOS.
Link: http://www22.verizon.com/content/con...about+fios.htm

It is a broadband internet connection that actually has incredible bandwidth. What it is a fiber optic cable running through to you house where it goes through a photo diode and amp (which the company I work for produces for Verizon, its awesome, I get to work on this stuff first hand) anyway... it has mulitple magnatudes of bandwidth more than a coax cable...I currently get 5MB/s DL and 2 to 2.5MB/s Upload, and we have the lowest rated FTTH (Fiber to the Home)

the website I linked to you should help a bit to...overall you wont really notice to much of a difference between cable and it just because its really only effecting the upload speed...unless you are in a very dense area where many people are using the internet and thats where the extra bandwidth in the fiber comes in handy...

you can actually get your cable TV, Internet, and Phone all on Fiber now from Verizon (atleast where I live)

Its really cool stuff.
Sounds nice, I could use the extra upload bandwidth, I can only host a game with 5 or 6 people in Halo before the pings get too high to play. And I'm sure being able to upload more doesn't hurt your torrents at all
__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
LambOfGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
Send a message via MSN to LambOfGod
Default Re: ISPs

Very cool, what are the maximum speeds Verison offers?
__________________
LambOfGod- Q6600 g0 @ 3.06 Ghz * DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS * Antec 1200 * Rosewill RP550 PSU * EVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked *WD 74GB Raptor * 2 X Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (RAID 1) * 4 GB DDR2 1022 GSKILL 5-5-5-13 * Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Windows XP 64 Bit
LambOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: ISPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambOfGod
Very cool, what are the maximum speeds Verison offers?
Quote:
Why wait? With FiOS, upload pictures and movies in a flash! Serious gamer? We've thought of you too. Play games with the other side of the world as if they were next door... lag-free! With FiOS Packages offering up to 30 Mbps downloads and 5 Mbps uploads (and even higher in some locations), patience is generally the cable user's virtue.
From site^

So about 3.75 MB/s up and 625 KB/s down.
__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
Daemon Poster
 
kjman87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 806
Send a message via AIM to kjman87
Default Re: ISPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambOfGod
Very cool, what are the maximum speeds Verison offers?
30MB/s Down, 5MB/s up...but thats like business cause its like $150 a month...

15MB/s Down and 2MB/s up (or so they say cause on connection test I get 2.5 up) is $50

and base: which is what I have...cause your never going to get 15mb/s down on anything and we dont have enough computers on our network to warrent 15...

5MB/s Down and 2MB/s Up for $40

but you get disocunts the more stuff you get from them kinda like comcast where it goes to 33 for each if you have phone/internet/TV
__________________
New Desktop: Core i7 860, EVGA P55 SLI, 2x PNY GTX260s in SLI, Antec Quattro 1kW PSU,4GB XMS3 DDR3-1600, Antec 300 Case, 2xSeagate 500GB, 1TB Samsung
Old Desktop: Intel E8400, Seagate 7200.11 500GB HDD, 320GB WD, 250GB Seagate, Asus 9800GTX+,4GB Corsair Ballistix, Asus P5Q Pro, Antec 500W PSU, 2 19" WS
Laptop: HP dv4-1155se
Car~07 Mazda 3s 5spd 2.3L: Simota CAI, Borla Cat-Back, Cat Delete, Lower Engine Mount, 1.5" Drop...and more...haha
kjman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: ISPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjman87
30MB/s Down, 5MB/s up...but thats like business cause its like $150 a month...

15MB/s Down and 2MB/s up (or so they say cause on connection test I get 2.5 up) is $50

and base: which is what I have...cause your never going to get 15mb/s down on anything and we dont have enough computers on our network to warrent 15...

5MB/s Down and 2MB/s Up for $40

but you get disocunts the more stuff you get from them kinda like comcast where it goes to 33 for each if you have phone/internet/TV
Are you sure it's megabytes not megabits? 'Cause on the site it says Mbps, and a lowercase b usually means bits.
__________________

__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0