IP Change, will this work?

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hello,

Before I start just want to let everyone know, I am trying to change the IP not because I was banned from somewhere, no, but because I am experiencing network conflictions and some other network related issues.

So, here is the deal, I did some researching on how IP's work, but its still confusing for me. I am hoping someone can help me out. The IP that you see when you go to like whatmyip.com it's a public IP correct? What about Default gateway IP & DHCP server IP? Is that Private IP's? (if u go to run and type ipconfig /all, u will see what I am talking about) I believe what I am trying to do is to change my Default gateway IP & DHCP server IP (they have the same IP, on my pc). One of the methods I was able to find on the net, is to unplug my router for a night. What that did is it changed the IP that I see when I go to whatismyip.com and it also changed the last digit on my Default gateway IP & DHCP server IP, but Default gateway IP & DHCP server IP needs to be changed fully.

I currently have FIOS from Verizon on a Dynamic IP

Last time I called Verizon they didn't want to change it for me, and offered me to get Static IP, they sad that way your problem can be fixed, but dynamic IP costs way 2 much money! What do u think if I call Verizon ask them to change it to Static, wait for my IP to change and then call them back and change the service back. Will my IP go to what it used to be? Or will I have a new IP?

If someone can answer all this questions or at least some I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Dynamic costs more? Usually it's the other way around....

But yes, the whatmyip.com shows your "public" ip, or in otherwords, the one you are assigned by your ISP. All other IPs you see, are network IPs, and do not effect the world outside your network.

I've heard that you can force a new IP by shutting down your modem and powering it back on, but I'm not sure what truth there is to that.

The only way to change you public ip is from your ISP. changing your DHCP and gateway won't change anything except for locally.

I'm with Zer0cool on dynamic costing more. Usually they charge more for a static ip because its reliable that you will always have the same ip. If you currently have a dynamic ip than technically your ip lease to you modem will expire and if your modem is off when it does then when you replug you will get a brand new ip.

You may be able to talk your ISP into causing your ip lease to expire so that you get a new one. I don't think that is much work on their end if you talk to somebody with knowledge and privilages to do so.

on my router i can just power it off for 5 mins and i get a new ip, this does work as it bypasses the rapidshare limit. im with BT.
this does not work on all isp's, and apart from doing that i dont think theres anything else you can do

you are absolutelly right guys, I do have Dynamic, (post updated).

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-XX-XX-XX
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.XXX.XX (how do i change this??)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.XXX.X
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.XXX.X
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.XXX.X
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.XXX.X
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.XXX.X

the one you want to change appears to be the network address. either go into the router setup and choose what ip's you want dhcp to assign, or go to network connections. right click your connection. go to properties, then tcp/ip settings, and enter the ip and the other settings manually

Indeed, dude_se is 100% correct.

Basically, DHCP gives you all the computers an IP or you can do it manually and disable it. If you do it manually you have to go on the network connections and edit the connection, and assign the gateway.

The numbers you x'ed out can be shown because you won't get hacked.

Otherwise, depending on how many computers you have on the network, power them all off and if your lucky, turn them on in the order you want the xxx.xxx.xxx.XXX to be and it should work out, going from 2. Otherwise, you may just have to disable it.

What exactly is the problem you are having? The DHCP server should be like the router addy e.g. 192.168.2.1.

Hope this helps

Steven

even if dhcp is enabled you can still manually enter the ip and stuff on your pc, besides if it is enabled then there shouldnt be any conflicts anyway ...

Thanks for the help guys, unfortunately I am at work and I can't get the first hand information that is on my computer. So the IP that shows when I go to whatismyip.com will that be the only IP that a website like this one will log? Reason im asking I have my own website that was hacked & I am trying to find logs of who did it. I use my pc to host it, so I am also trying to completely change my IP so that wouldn't happen again.

What steps do i need to take to change my ip?

Back
Top Bottom