Iomega external hard drive power outage

nagoyankitty

Beta member
I live in an apartment where power goes out frequently in the summer. One day I woke up and my computer was not on due to power outage and from then on, my hard drive won't be recognized in my computer. It doesn't show up in my device manager either. I hooked it up to my laptop with no luck. I do think I hear constant clicking noise. I can't tell if it's the infamous click-of-death or if it has something to do with the power cord.
I tried the usual methods like plugging it in directly to the wall, make it cold...etc. It's still in its casing. Is it too late to save it????? Is it possible to take it out of its casing and retrieve data somehow??????

If it's clicking it's probably dead. However, there is this little program called HDD Regenerator that attempts to repair damaged sectors on hard drives so that you may read the data. I have been able to pull data off of otherwise dead hard drives in the past using this tool, but don't hold out too much hope if it's clicking. By the way, if you use this tool and are able to read your data, copy it to another drive immediately. This program doesn't fix damaged hard drives permanently, but may fix it enough to get your data off of it before crashing for good.

Back
Top Bottom