"Invalid boot.ini", need help!

2004 GT RagTop

Baseband Member
No idea how this happened. Turned off my PC (Dell Dimension 3000) last night, there were no issues. Turned it on today, and I am seeing the following message:

Invalid Boot.ini

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

Windows\System32\Hal.dll

My computer wasn't working that well a few months ago, and I wanted to do a full system restart. Problem is Dell never gave me the restart/recovery cd for windows, so, I downloaded one from a torrent website. It wasn't an "official" windows of course, it was windows XP for the most part, with the theme of windows vista, and other tweaks. Anyways, it worked fine. Couple days ago, my computer again was having issues, so, I decided to put that cd in and start from scratch again. Like I said, there were no issues the first time I used that cd and windows for several months, and even last night, there were no issues, but now windows won't start.

My biggest issue is I have many important files saved on that computer. I also have a laptop, and I decided to do a recovery on the laptop the other day as well -- I actually had the cd for that one. I put many of my important files on the laptop to a flash drive, and then transferred them over to the PC, and then cleared out my flash drive. I was going to put the files on the PC back onto a flash drive and transfer them back to the laptop, but now I obviously can't get the PC to work!

Is there ANY way I can get the PC to load up windows in a way that I can just move my documents/files back onto my flash drive? I tried safe mode, but I keep getting that error message. I really need those documents/files, and so, I don't want to do a system recovery or whatever until I can get those files onto a flash drive. Is it possible?

No idea how this happened. Turned off my PC (Dell Dimension 3000) last night, there were no issues. Turned it on today, and I am seeing the following message:

Invalid Boot.ini

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

Windows\System32\Hal.dll

My computer wasn't working that well a few months ago, and I wanted to do a full system restart. Problem is Dell never gave me the restart/recovery cd for windows, so, I downloaded one from a torrent website. It wasn't an "official" windows of course, it was windows XP for the most part, with the theme of windows vista, and other tweaks. Anyways, it worked fine. Couple days ago, my computer again was having issues, so, I decided to put that cd in and start from scratch again. Like I said, there were no issues the first time I used that cd and windows for several months, and even last night, there were no issues, but now windows won't start.

My biggest issue is I have many important files saved on that computer. I also have a laptop, and I decided to do a recovery on the laptop the other day as well -- I actually had the cd for that one. I put many of my important files on the laptop to a flash drive, and then transferred them over to the PC, and then cleared out my flash drive. I was going to put the files on the PC back onto a flash drive and transfer them back to the laptop, but now I obviously can't get the PC to work!

Is there ANY way I can get the PC to load up windows in a way that I can just move my documents/files back onto my flash drive? I tried safe mode, but I keep getting that error message. I really need those documents/files, and so, I don't want to do a system recovery or whatever until I can get those files onto a flash drive. Is it possible?

all you have to do is borrow a hard drive enclosure from a friend or buy one, hook it up to your laptop and then just find your files and copy them over...

I'm not sure how to do that, can you explain further?

The files I need to retrieve are on my PC which has the boot.ini error message and won't load up. I tried safe mode, but I still get that error message.

That's the thing, Dell never gave me the Windows XP cd. I had to download a modified version of windows from a torrent website, and that cd does not have any such recovery option, just a full reboot.

I do have a windows xp recovery cd that came with my sony vaio laptop. But, can I use that for a "repair install" on the dell pc, or will it be incompatible?

Like I said, it's really about finding a way to get to those files and saving them to my flash drive. I want to make sure whatever I do, does not delete those files.

I'm not sure how to do that, can you explain further?

The files I need to retrieve are on my PC which has the boot.ini error message and won't load up. I tried safe mode, but I still get that error message.

*hdd = hard drive...

1. open your case...
2. take out your hdd...
3. take the hdd to a store (preferably one that sells computer stuff, not the grocery store :p )...
4. ask someone who works there for an external usb hdd enclosure that would be compatible with your hdd (IDE, SATA, etc.), if possible, see if they'll install your hdd into the enclosure...
5. buy it, go home, plug it into your laptop's usb port and start transferring files over from your hdd to your laptop...
6. put your hdd back into the case and reinstall windows...

a relatively cheap solution if you don't know how to or can't fix the boot problem...

Joga: I do have a working laptop, will that suffice? I don't have another pc, but I can borrow one of my friends old pcs that he never uses. Though I don't really know what a hdd is, or what process you are suggesting, can you exploan further? I'm definitley not very computer savvy when it comes to the technical/more in depth aspect.

if you can;t do it yourself give it someone who can.

I wouldn't play around with the inside if you don't know what your doing.

Messing with harddrive could break it.

Back
Top Bottom