Internet Questions

acphenom

Daemon Poster
I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, but anyway, i was wondering if someone can answer some of my questions about internet connections. I have a 1Mbps cable broadband connection. Is this 1 Megabit per second? If so, then does that mean that i have to divide by 8 or something to get it into Megabytes per second?

Also, i am using Bittorrent at the moment to download a large video file. Usually, it downloads 5-25 KB/s and uploads 5-15 KB/s. This really slows down my web-browsing. Is there any way i can speed up my web-browsing during downloading with bittorrent?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm...yeah bit doesn't mean byte. A bit equals one binary number, for example 0. A byte would be 01010101 to equal 8 so yeah.

As for that, you must be downloading off slow connections since your broadband should at least have upload speeds of 70-90kbs...

Check in settings for any features on the bit torrent to make it use less of your internet connection by limiting it even more, or not allowing people to upload while you are downloading from someone (I know thats the whole point...but meh)

This is the only thing I can think of since I've never used a bit torrent... hope it helps though

shareaza is a bit torrent client so you can use it to donwload things, and it has a graph thing at the top. you can drag the slider along so you can vary how much of your connection you let it use. handy as anything!
sounds like thats kinda thing your after.
though of course speeding up your browsing will prob slow you donwload down.
but this is inevitable no matter what

Thanx for the reply. So should i divide 1000 by 8 to get MB/s?

Can anyone else offer help with my bittorrent problem?

Wouldn't it be 125KB/s? I think it is, which would mean that bittorrent should only be using about 1/6 of my bandwidth. Unless the 1Mbps represents both uploading and downloading bandwidth. Umm...i'm stuck again.

With Bi Torrent you are at the mercy of other leechers speed wise. 1000mbps is equal to 100 KiloBytes approx when you are downloading.

I am on a 1500 kbps adsl service and my equivalent download speed is approx 150 KiloBytes and my upload speed is 256 kbps or 25.6 KiloBytes.

These figures are approx. and do fluctuate.

Edit: I had put mbps it should be kbps.

Cox cable in Calif. -4000 kbs download-500 kbs upload. Checked at pcpitstop.com.

Thanx for the great help, people. :D

Wombat, you have a 1500Mbps connection? That's faster than T3, isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom