Internet Explorer message

misterspigot

Baseband Member
On my computer a window will reandomly popup that says "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvienence."

This would be fine if perhaps there was a problem. IE works perfectly fine. If IE is open and I get this message and click the X to close it, it disappears and IE remains open, functioning fine.

Here's the thing that REALLY gets me peaved. IE does'nt even have to be open to get this warning. That's right, it comes up randomly (seems random anyway) whenever the computer is on. :mad:

I'm pretty good at figuring these sorts of things out but I'm stumped here :confused: . Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Edit: Oh yeah...the messages will continue to appear even if one is already up. They just pile one over the other. Very irritating. Thanks ;)

Have you done the basics like clearing the cache and history etc(sometimes causes strange problems). Also a virus/spyware scan, and chkdsk.

just deleted all history related things (ie, temp files, history, cookies, saved passwords, etc.). I got to wait to see if it worked. I'll be doing a scan as well. Thanks. More advice is still welcome!

if its not a virus/spyware, i would try completly reinstalling IE. (the following are stpes for XP, if you have vista, im not sure how to do it) if you have IE7 uninstall that with the add/remove programs. Then leaving teh add/remeove programs thingy open, pop in your xp CD. Now click the link on the left of teh add/remove that says "Add/Remove Windows Components" Scroll untill you see internet Explorer. Uncheck the box next to it, and click next. IE will not be uninstalled.

Leave all this open, and re-run all of your virus scans and the like to see if anything was un-covered durring the uninstall. If not, then your safe to reinstall. Since you left the add/remeove windows components thingy open, re-check IE and click next to reinstall that. If you had IE 7, after this, go to www.microsoft.com and download IE7.

I did everything you said celegorm and I'm still getting the same messages. This is what the message looks like.

msmessage.jpg

It continues to appear, even with IE not even installed. This is EXTREMELY frustrating and needs to stop. Thanks for any help.

-misterspigot

I got the same prob and just went Back to 6.0 and It works great. I think there are a few bugs that they need to work out.

doing that when IE is not installed.... sounds like a virus. you mentioned that you were going to do a scan in a previous thread. How did that go? and what programs did you use to scan with?

Did you do what i suggested in post #2? If you have then try hijackthis and post the log.

Yes, I did a scan using Panda Internet Security 2007. It found a virus and said "reported" next to the name of the virus. I'll have to scan again to see if it's still there. If it is I'll post a screenshot.

Could you explain chkdsk and hijackthis. I'm not familiar with what these two things mean/are.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom