Internet Explorer 6 will not open most websites

techserv

Baseband Member
Ok, this one has me stumped. I have a client who has a home network setup with a wireless router attached. There is a desktop that is wired and everything works normal on it. Then he has a laptop that uses the wireless connection.

On the laptop, when you try and go to various webpages, some load with no problems but most will just never open. It says "opening yada yada" at the bottom but just never opens the page. Some pages, like yahoo.com load perfectly normal.

First of all, I have checked a several things:
1. The laptop does show that it is connected to the wireless network with excellent reception.
2. I connected it to the network with a wire and it does the same thing.
3. I have cleared cookies, temp internet files, history.
4. I have restored the default settings for the Security and Advanced features in the IE settings.
5. Email in outlook express works fine, so I know it is hitting an Internet connection.
6. It is currently setup to obtain IP and DNS automatically, but I went in and assigned an IP and put in the ISP's DNS and that did not help either.
7. Ran ad-aware, found nothing
8. Ran Norton Anitvirus, found nothing

It almost has to be something screwed up in the IE program itself.

open the command prompt and then open IE and try to connect to somewhere. whist IE is searching type netstat in the command prompt, this will list all the active connections and the ports. Check to make sure an outgpong conncetion is actually being made.

Also to check that you aer able to connect to a web site. type
Code:
TELNET [address] 80.
press enter.
tap a few keys (any will do) then press enter, do you see text from the site go past?

root said:
open the command prompt and then open IE and try to connect to somewhere. whist IE is searching type netstat in the command prompt, this will list all the active connections and the ports. Check to make sure an outgpong conncetion is actually being made.

Also to check that you aer able to connect to a web site. type
Code:
TELNET [address] 80.
press enter.
tap a few keys (any will do) then press enter, do you see text from the site go past?
I kinda have the same problem,I never used the command prompt.What do I type in there.How do you open IE and connect somewhere.

gun smoke said:
I kinda have the same problem,I never used the command prompt.What do I type in there.How do you open IE and connect somewhere.

APPRECIATE THE HELP

Back
Top Bottom