internet connection problem!

tchayden

Solid State Member
I am not able to connect to the internet. I recently found an old dell latitude CPi notebook in my basement with a Dynex fast Ethernet card model DX-E201. The notebook does not have a cd-rom, its running a version of windows XP that may be counterfeited im not sure. I was able to get the installation programs off the cd that came with the ethernet card onto a flash drive and installed it onto the notebook. When i look at the Local Area Connections it recognizes the Ethernet card. I noticed that the there are a small amount of packets being sent like 100-200 and i am not receiving any back. I ran a "ping test" in dos prompt and everything seems fine. I am a total newbie so i have no idea what this means. can you point me in the right direction.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!:D

what does your device manger('press control+page-break' should be a button that says device manager on it) look like under your network devices?
in your dos prompt what did you type after "ping"?
where does the end of your ethernet cable that does not go into your computer go?
are you sure your ethernet cable works?
and can you please clarify where your Ethernet card is installed currently?

Sorry it took so long to reply to your questions, Finals week!

1. under my network devices it says Dynex DX-E201 Card Bus PC Card and under properties it says, the device is working properly.

2. I pinged my own IP address, some were in the troubleshooting manual it told me to do that. It didn't tell me what it meant or what to do with the results though.

3-4. The Ethernet cord comes from my ISP, provided cable modem. I unplugged the end of the cord that went into my wireless router and plugged it directly into the side of my notebook. I am currently writing this reply with that same internet connection on my desktop PC, so im pretty sure my Ethernet cable works.

5. My Ethernet card is currently installed on PCI bus 5, not sure if that is the answer you are looking for.

Let me get this straight, you're saying you installed a network card in a laptop?

Alright, your manual probably told you to ping 127.0.0.1. That's the loopback address... if you got a reply that means the NIC (Network Interface Card, I'm going to be refering to your "Ethernet Card" as a nic) works. If it doesn't, well to bad, it doesn't work.

Try pinging google:

ping google.com

If you get a reply it means you're connected, but you're not... you're not recieveing anything.

Sorry* read over your post again. The card must have come with the laptop.

Go to dell.com and look up your model number. Download the nic drivers for that laptop, put them on a jump drive, and run those on your laptop. I'll be back with other solutions, just have to work right now. Sorry

-Q

Alright, back.

Ok. I want you to go to My Network Places,

On the left there will be "View Network Connections", click on that. There should be two different connections there. Tell me what is there.

Well thanks for your tips!

I am not sure what really fixed the problem, but I was playing around with some of the security settings under administrative tools/ local policies/ security options. not sure what i enabled but i have connection to the internet right now.

can anyone give me a snapshot of what their default looks like under security options. I want to be sure I didn't open my computer up.

Thanks Again!

Back
Top Bottom