Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Internally intergrating bluetooth into computer

Hello,

Recently got a refurbished laptop that is missing integrated bluetooth despite having it in specs. Customer support says they'll send and adapter and that's that. The problem is with 2 usb ports, between my mouse, flash drive, and the bluetooth adapter, it won't be a pleasant experience.

Is there a way to build an internal bluetooth module into the netbook? Otherwise, is it possible to somehow split off one of the usb port connections internally and simply tape (or glue) a usb adapter inside the computer body connected to that? The usb adapter seems small enough to fit. I really don't want to keep plugging the adapter in and out.

The laptop is a Samsung series 3 NP350U2A-W01UB

Thanks,
Zenith

Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
muz
Golden Master

Default Re: Internally intergrating bluetooth into computer

If Bluetooth was one of the additional specs you could configure the laptop with from the manufacturer then the internal card for Bluetooth would probably be a mini pci type connector . instead of messing about with a usb adapter I would get on ebay or amazon or something like that and see if you could source one of these internal Bluetooth cards . There should then be a mini pci slot inside the laptop with antennas for the Bluetooth card .

Old 06-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
If Bluetooth was one of the additional specs you could configure the laptop with from the manufacturer then the internal card for Bluetooth would probably be a mini pci type connector . instead of messing about with a usb adapter I would get on ebay or amazon or something like that and see if you could source one of these internal Bluetooth cards . There should then be a mini pci slot inside the laptop with antennas for the Bluetooth card .
Thanks, that's pretty good advice. I'll be prying the lid off in a day or so to put in the ssd, assuming I can figure out how to install the os on it, so I'll see if it has a mini pci connection available. Most of these cards seem to como as a wifi/bluetooth combo though: would that be safe considering I already have integrated wifi? And could I go for bluetooth 4.0 instead of 3.0 in the laptop specs?
Old 06-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
muz
Golden Master

id try and search for one on ebay that matches the model number of your laptop from someone selling down broken laptops because you could then gurantee compatibility with your laptop
Old 06-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
id try and search for one on ebay that matches the model number of your laptop from someone selling down broken laptops because you could then gurantee compatibility with your laptop
True, but I'm not confident I'll find one: the particular Samsung model I have doesn't have bluetooth as listed in full specs on the Samsung website, which makes me believe the seller simply ignorantly posted the wrong specs, and an exact internal adapter for this exact model might not exist.

Also, I can't get 4.0 that way: after hearing your advice, I'm tempted to purchase a combo wifi/bluetooth 4.0 mini pci card
-http://www.amazon.com/Centrino-6235ANHMW-802-11n-Express-Bluetooth/dp/B007QXLIU0
and swapping that with whatever I have now. I really need to brush up on my hardware know-how, the usb solution I initially proposed was pretty pathetic vs this
Old 06-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
muz
Golden Master

ahh if it was not an original specification of the laptop I would check that the wi-fi card is a pci mini card before purchasing anything .
Old 06-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Baseband Member

Yep, I'll pry it open before purchasing anything. I have a motherboard model, but can't seem to find detailed specs for it, so I guess I'll just have to check manually.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Baseband Member

Update: got the cover off. Wifi indeed on a half-height mini pci card, an intel centrino one, so I think getting a wifi/bluetooth combo should work. Stubborn screw in there prevented me from taking it out as a test, but shouldn't be a problem, I doubt it's soldered under the card itself (too little space).
Only concern are two wires connected to the pci card: they look like they were crimped on, not soldered, but is it safe to try and pry them off?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Wizard of Wires

Those are the antenna leads. They slide on the posts on the board horizontally. Pull in the same direction as the wire and it should come right off.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
muz
Golden Master

does it look anything like this

if it does then those copper parts "crimped on " are simply the wi fi antenna leads and they just clip off and should clip back onto the new wi fi / bluetooth board you get . However one thing that does puzzle me is how well the new bluetooth card will work without the antennas being connected up inside the display . You will probably get a relatively short range from the bluetooth card with no antenna connected .

Tags
internal bluetooth, usb