Internal vs external HD for backup

Maineman

Solid State Member
I need to get an extra HD for backup. What is the difference between getting an external USB HD and sharing it on a network or getting an internal HD and sharing it?

The largest (and in my oppinion only) disadvantage of an external drive for backups is speed. Particularly USB externals take forever to backup a large amount of data. Internal drives, or external drives that have an ESATA port (if your computers support it) are the best performers.

My preference is to go with external drives for security. Typically, when your done backing up you unplug the drive and store it somewhere. That keeps your data save in the event of a power surge or a very serious virus attack which is something internal drives are not protected against.

Adding eSata card

Is it possible to add an eSATA card? My MB supports SATA but have no external ports. I do have a firewire port and could get an external firewire drive. Any thoughts on speed, USB vs Firewire?

There are eSATA cards out there but I'm not sure how much they cost. Firewire is faster than USB2.0 (which I'm willing to be is what your computer has) but I'm not sure how it stacks up against the new USB3.0 standard.

Re: Adding eSata card

That is not a extrenal drive at all. That is a drive encloser. That means you can use your current drive. That specific model is for laptop HDD. In other words if u had an old laptop HDD laying around, you could turn it into a external USB hard drive. So thats just an empty case with a little bit of wires. No hard drive.

Back
Top Bottom