Intel's new Laser/Light technology

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
I couldn't find any info on the web, but I heard and saw this on the news this morning before I went to work. Intel apparently has perfected the laser and light technology for their silicons. It will lead to faster and cheaper CPUs. Has anyone heard of this too? I know Intel's been researching this stuff for years now, but this morning came news of their success. Perhaps we'll hear more of it later on.

Ah ha, there's the website. Good find. Photonics, here we come!!!! That's future technology right there. Good stuff. Can't wait to see next gen CPUs and more. Motherboards, RAM, Hard drives, etc., etc. Wow, can you imagine how fast everything would be? Boot up times would be almost non existent once this is perfected.

I remember when intel first announced that it was in the works about a year ago. And then comes news of this. I love how I live next to one of intel's large headquarters too! Quite a thrill! Jones Farm is gogin to be the place to notice if they're amking any changes in the processing and what not. w00t.

You figured now that they found a way to make it work, we can probably expect changes within the next 5 years. Hopefully sooner, to see these new line of microprocessors. Should be very interesting nonetheless. I've seen articles and heard news on this since 2004. Intel was mumbling about it and failed a few times creating this technique, but I guess they finally figured out what needed to be done to maintain stable continuity throughout the process of the circuit pathways.

I always thought the P4 would have this technology, but that was totally scrapped.

TRDCorolla said:
You figured now that they found a way to make it work, we can probably expect changes within the next 5 years. Hopefully sooner, to see these new line of microprocessors. Should be very interesting nonetheless. I've seen articles and heard news on this since 2004. Intel was mumbling about it and failed a few times creating this technique, but I guess they finally figured out what needed to be done to maintain stable continuity throughout the process of the circuit pathways.

I always thought the P4 would have this technology, but that was totally scrapped.

Hopefully the Pentium line will still exsists. That name has a lot of history and prestige behind it. Hopefully intel won't abolish it just yet. maybe this new technology could be used to revive the name.

I thought the Pentium line was dead with the intro of the Core Duo. Here's more news directly from Dailytech in regards to the new Intel laser technology. Good read:

Intel Develops Silicon Hybrid Laser Chip

2515_large_Intel%20hybrid%20laser1.jpg

"High performance light-based computers in the horizon

Researchers at Intel and the University of California, Santa Barbara have announced
the world's first Hybrid Silicon Laser, or HSL. An HSL is a silicon-based laser emitting device. According to Intel, creating a laser emitting silicon chip is a breakthrough that will propel the world of computers into the light-based transmission era.

Called Indium Phosphide, the material contains properties that allow it to emit light when voltage is applied. Intel researchers were able to integrate Indium Phosphide into traditional silicon chip manufacturing techniques, thereby creating a silicon-Indium Phoshide hybrid chip -- one that could process traditional electrical signals and transmit laser light. The laser light generated by an HSL chip could be used to transmit data and thus power other silicon photonic devices said Intel.

“Silicon Photonics is a critical part of tera-Scale computing as we need the ability to move massive amounts of data on and off these very high performance chips" claimed Intel Chief Technology Officer Justin Rattner. Intel said that HSL could bring along terabit-capable transmission processors that are low cost and easy to produce. Computers would be a multitude more powerful than those we use today. The technology however, is still a number of years off.

Currently, silicon chips can detect light, route light and even modulate light said Intel, but the problem is getting silicon chips to produce light. Intel is taking Phoshide lasers commonly used in other industries and bringing along new types of applications. Voltage is first applied to the HSL. The Indium Phosphide element then produces light, which then enters a silicon waveguide to create continuous laser light. Using this technique, Intel also maintains a low cost production of HSL devices. According to Intel:

The hybrid silicon laser is a key enabler for silicon photonics, and will be integrated into silicon photonic chips that could enable the creation of optical “data pipes” carrying terabits of information. These terabit optical connections will be needed to meet the bandwidth and distance requirements of future servers and data centers powered by hundreds of processors.

The application potentials for HSL chips are truly exciting. The industry in general has been talking about laser or light based electronics for a number of years already. With the development from a company like Intel -- and hopefully others like AMD -- the industry is getting the right push it needs. With multi-core processors now the mainstream, computers will only get faster. HSL devices will drive the future of computing said Intel, and things are looking only brighter. Communications technology uses a fair number of laser electronics and as the technology is refined, desktop computer and notebooks will be using the technology in the next few years as the limits of traditional silicon is reached."

TRDCorolla said:
I thought the Pentium line was dead with the intro of the Core Duo.

that was my impression as well. last i heard the Pentium D was the end of the line for the name-sake.

Back
Top Bottom