Intels in Mac's Hot or Not?

The PPC architecture is very powerful architecture - but we're talking about something being made by Motorola here.

With that said, I guess I'm pretty indifferent about the switch. In all honesty, I don't really care - although I guess you could say I'm pleased for Apple, since the move to Intel is still positive for them. The way they try and advertise it appeals to their zealot audience, who are a group of people who've been busy preaching their G4 and G5 and now have nothing to show for it. Kind of funny to think that after all those years, they're using PC processors now. :D

The Intel Core Duo is awesome. I would love to have that processor...I could care less about the Mac though, since I've never had the need for one.

www.macnn.com said:
Rosetta Performance

Benchmarks performed on the Developer Transition Kits measure Rosetta performance, not native application performance. Rosetta is Apple's emulation technology for running PowerPC applications on Intel Macs. It emulates a G3 processor and does not support Altivec.

Intel Macs scored between 65 and 70 with Xbench running under Rosetta. A dual-2.5GHz Power Mac G5 scored above 200 on the same test. In the CPU test, where G5 systems score between 100 and 200, the Intel Mac only reached the high teens.

The Intel Mac scored 82 on the Thread test, compared to 225 for the G5 machine. In the Computation Thread test, the Pentium machine scored 110, trailing the G5 by only 45 points.

In both the Lock Contention and Memory tests, the G5 significantly exceeded the performance of the Intel Mac, with scores of 420 to 66, and 378 to 214. The Intel Mac managed to exceed the G5's Stream Memory Test score: 351 to 319. The system memory test, however, is a different story. The G5 beat the Intel machine, scoring a 464 compared to 154.

The Intel Mac scored a 125 on the Interface Test, compared to a 380 for the G5, according to one report. Another report claimed the Intel prototype beat a G5 Mac.

The Intel Mac scored well in both the Quartz graphics and OpenGL graphics tests -- matching or exceeding dual-2.5GHz G5 score.

I dunno that doesn't have me too excited.

EDIT: Decided to include the link for the quote, http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/06/09/intel.mac.performance/

I dare say taht most ppl on this forum and around the gloab are using a PC not a MAC yet the results show mac+intel as hot... COME ON PC USERS(with intels) THEIR CALLING YOUR BOXES DULL AND BORING!!!

I wouldn't be suprised if their Rosetta Technology was slower or performed worse. Emulation is only a solution for those who need programs that were once only compatible with the IBM powered Macs, but now own Intel powered Macs.

apple says all that shit but the duos are in several PC laptops now and it runs just as fast.

What are you talking about? The Intel powered Macs are faster, but we were talking about the Rosetta Technology they use to emulate old programs that were written for IBM's PowerPC architecture.

Intel duo in the macs is super-fabulous, simply becasue the intel duo is such a good processor. Rosetta is basically like taking a 1994 Dauer 962 LeMans and tieing a 2000 lb fat guy to the back of it. It's a fast car, just it ain't going anywhere with those limitations.

I really am more excited about the intel core duo processors then the fact that their being put in a mac. Whats the big deal really? A intel core duo is just as effective as in a pc as in a mac. In fact more effective since you don't devote so much processing power to the rosetta emulator. Translating machine code is never a good idea.

pinky4life623 said:
i really could care less where intels go..

Don't care where tehy go ayy?! how about i shove an intel in ur ASUS A7N8X Deluxe would u care then?! :p mmm snapping silicon... i love that!

Back
Top Bottom