Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #31
Fully Optimized
 
esa193's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,210
Send a message via AIM to esa193
Default Re: Intel's C2Q, a real quad core?

hmm well
if your a gamer
after you see crysis qaud core is a must to run that game as best it can
but you dont game besides css
witch in gaming terms is an old outdated game graphics wise
u cant really base dual core on a game that runs on a p3 256ram and a geforce 2
__________________

__________________
antec 900, q6600, 4G, 500G, 160G, 9800gtx, 780i, 47in 1080ptv, 5.1 surround sound

MacArthur wrestling pwns!
esa193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:44 PM   #32
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,629
Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Re: Intel's C2Q, a real quad core?

Wel i'm a bit glad I decided to wait. My core2duo is more than enough for any current games. I'll probally pick up a new case/watercooling within a few months by then the new lineup should be nearing. Then pick up a new high end board and whatever cpu is tearing the market up. Most likely with a 9 series card 2. God I love how fast things move lol.
__________________

ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:31 AM   #33
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: Intel's C2Q, a real quad core?

today's uarch is definately not at its limits. Look at the Core 2 Duo. Huge performance jump. What is at its limits is manufacturing process. 45nm is already incredibly small. Then after that is 32nm. Its not getting that much smaller. The reason for dual/quad cores is because its possible to do it. They can make them relatively cheap and affordable to the average consumer. Its not a luxury anymore.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:42 AM   #34
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Intel's C2Q, a real quad core?

i think they said they;d hit a silicon limit in the next 5 years or so, shrinking and shrinking, but they have ways around it. i.e using another chemical with silicon to make the electricity flow stronger, because if you hit a limit, the electrons would start to jump to nearby gates, making the chip simply unuseable.

As for quad core, I'll definetly notice a big difference running 3D Studio Max, because it's fully utilised to support quad core.
Many editing programs would also.

Dual Core programs are becoming more apparent also, but, you should be able to run more stuff at one time.

For example, with a dual core, running a virus scan, and playing a single core game is theoretically a possibility, or burning a disc and doing something that'd usually crash it.
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #35
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: Intel's C2Q, a real quad core?

There will be one day where Moore's Law won't work anymore. You can shrink things only so small before you reach the limit.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #36
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Intel's C2Q, a real quad core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
i think they said they;d hit a silicon limit in the next 5 years or so, shrinking and shrinking, but they have ways around it. i.e using another chemical with silicon to make the electricity flow stronger, because if you hit a limit, the electrons would start to jump to nearby gates, making the chip simply unuseable.

As for quad core, I'll definetly notice a big difference running 3D Studio Max, because it's fully utilised to support quad core.
Many editing programs would also.

Dual Core programs are becoming more apparent also, but, you should be able to run more stuff at one time.

For example, with a dual core, running a virus scan, and playing a single core game is theoretically a possibility, or burning a disc and doing something that'd usually crash it.
Yeah a lot of profesional multimedia editing software is utilised for quad core so if you do any of that stuff then its worth it.
Also i wouldnt wait for something to come out , cos once AMD has brought there processor out intel will be bringing something else out which may be better and you could end up waiting for ages . My thought on buying components is buy it once you have the cash buy what is available then . Also just cos it isnt "true" quad core that dosent stop the quad cores being insanely powerfull
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #37
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: Intel's C2Q, a real quad core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvino View Post
There will be one day where Moore's Law won't work anymore. You can shrink things only so small before you reach the limit.
Moore's law is still in effect to this day. It will be a long time before we reach the point of diminishing returns.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #38
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: Intel's C2Q, a real quad core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvino View Post
What worthless comment.
Don't be hatin' now, hater.

But seriously though, AMD is god for budget builders. I put a good system together for under $600 because of AMD's prices.

I mean really, you can get a 3200+ for $35. Unless you wanna throw bioshock/crysis/UT3 at it, that 3200+ will get the job done.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #39
In Runtime
 
Webhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 159
Send a message via MSN to Webhead
Default Re: Intel's C2Q, a real quad core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
Yeah a lot of profesional multimedia editing software is utilised for quad core so if you do any of that stuff then its worth it.
Also i wouldnt wait for something to come out , cos once AMD has brought there processor out intel will be bringing something else out which may be better and you could end up waiting for ages . My thought on buying components is buy it once you have the cash buy what is available then . Also just cos it isnt "true" quad core that dosent stop the quad cores being insanely powerfull
Yep aoftware is slowly utilising more cores. A performance boost is said to be seen in Adobe Photshop when used with a Qaud Core Procesor, so is some vido editing and encoding software and definately 3D software.

As muz said new hardware comes out all the time so if you wait for something there will always be something come out that will be better so if you waited you'll be waiting forever. I think the time to upgrade is when your computer doesn't run your applications as fast as you'd like them to and when you have the cash to upgrade.
__________________
New PC Specs: Intel Core 2 Qaud Q9950 1.83GHZ (Overclocked to 3GHZ), 4GB RAM PC-6400, Samsung F1 1000GB Hard Drive, Asus P5Q Pro Motherboard, Antec Freezer 7 Pro, Antec Three Hundred PC Case, Lite-ON DVD RW. Laptop Specs: Model HP Pavilion DV6174ea, Intel Core 2 Duo 5500 (1.66ghz), 2gb ram, Nvidia Geforce 7400 Go 256mb (128 dedicated, 128 turbocache), Wifi, DVD RW with lightscribe technology, and has a remote control as well!
Webhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #40
Golden Master
 
ISOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,208
Default Re: Intel's C2Q, a real quad core?

I feel AMD is the TRUE quad core here whereby Intel has them all separated by the front side bus. AMD has them all on the same die.
__________________

__________________
*Fact: Microsoft Window's Blue Screen of Death vs Computerforums.org's White Screen of Death. Which is worse?
ISOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0