Intel Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven11

BSOD
Is it possible to get a socket 478 intel processor that has hyperthreading?
It also has to be 533Mhz FSB,

Is FSB Backward compatible From 800 Mhz to 533Mhz as my motherboard only supports the above but i want to take advantage of Hyper threading by the way I am building a new PC

Well...

Ok My motherboard will support 400/533/800 FSB but the cpu chip is only a 533. To make it go faster I will have to upgrade the cpu chip.
Did that clear things up?
Oh as for the hyperthreading 478 yes you can.

Where from cus it needs to be only 533Mhz FSB and thats all my motherboard supports what i am trying to say is my Motherboard will only support 533Mhz and The processor is 800Mhz FSB is it backwards compatible??

sorry steven but it depends on the motherboard. im on a motherboard company and i know this. we have motherboard that supports teh backward compatibility. suppose u have 533FSB motherboard and you have 800FSB cpu. if your motherboard support backward compatibility, it could only detect cpu lesser than the actual specs. based from my experience it only detects 1.4GHz from my 2.8GHz cpu. your cpu is wasted.

Hold on...

steven11 post the code name for your cpu chip. Like northwood or prescott or a willimette. I need to know this to continue to help you...
It's important.

Nice...

I have a northwood 478 so we're on the same page as far as that goes.
Mines a 533FSB also. I meant my current cpu chip is running at 533fsb.

Here's what I pulled off the asus site. The specs part of their server is down so I didn't get much.

World's first 3GHz+ CPU and Intel Hyper-Threading Technology support!!
P4PE (Intel 845PE) Series
ASUS P4PE is based on Intel® 845PE which supports 533MHz FSB, 3GHz+ CPU, Intel Hyper-Threading technology, CrashFree BIOS, C.P.R. (CPU Parameter Recall), 3 DIMM for PC2700/PC2100 memory

Loosely translated it means this. Your motherboard will only go 533 on the front buss because it was not built to go at any other speed. It will accept only a 533FSB cpu chip. It's not designed to go any other speed most likely to keep the cost of making the MOBO down or to force you to buy another board to go faster. I think the latter applies here.
Cpu chips will only go one speed unless you over clock them. This is why you have to pay such close attention when you buy a cpu chip from Intel dealers. The cpu will go one speed and that speed is stated on the specs for the cpu chip. That is why I beat you guys up with> Do your homework before you buy anything. COMPATIABLITY is the name of the game.
So bottom line is if ya wanna go faster, Match the motherboard and the cpu chip TOGETHER. DON'T go cramming in to the socket what is not meant to be there. You won't like what happens next, trust me. Been there...

HaHa, steven STILL hasen't realised that BBcode does NOT work in sigs!!!
Lol.

Goodbye Styled!text, I can't do it with Firefox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom