Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-14-2006, 11:49 PM   #71
BSOD
 
JustinMcG67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,519
Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67
Default Re: Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 Processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinton McLeod

Interesting how all of a sudden you're argument changes to, "Presler isn't geared toward games". Our original argument was about overall performance... The Presler failed that test already, as an older processor out performs it.

The Intel Presler's pipelines isn't whats holding it back. It's the entire architexture. The way it was built, it was made to have multiple bottlenecks.

1) The Dual (Double) Core process that Intel has laid out is a bottleneck. For one thing, the cores can't even talk to each other directly. They have to communicate directly through the FSB. That's a bottleneck

2) The cores are based of the CISC instruction set which already forces the processor to do less per clock. That's a bottleneck.

3) The Netburst technology, where you take the CPU's instructions and disassemble them and reassemble them in the assembly line format, is slow. It also makes the processor run much hotter.

4) The forever aging FSB is one of the biggest bottlenecks. Especially since the cores communicate using this same bus.

As far as pipelines are concerned. Encoding for the Presler is easy because all the pipelines are doing is streaming the same data over and over and over. So, there's not much calculating considering that encoding is nothing more but repeating the same calculations over and over.

And yet somehow despite all these, "bottlenecks" it still outperforms your AMD Athelon64 X2 4800+!!! How amazing is that!

And yes, I did change the argument to the CPUs aren't meant for gaming. Simply because you're comparing the FX-60 to a CPU that isn't even built for gaming! There's no comparison!
__________________

JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:52 PM   #72
In Runtime
 
Quinton McLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 298
Default Re: Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 Processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337DuD3
The Presler isn't even a gaming chip! It's meant for MULTITASKING! Do you know what that means? Apparently not. So, let me show you!

As for you... You obviously don't know what you're arguing about. You already seemed quite confuzzled.

And Presler is a multitasking processor. This is true. However, it only shines in multitasking as long as HyperThreading is being used. Considering that most applications aren't using HyperThreading, it would appear that even in multitasking, the Presler is still losing.



Quote:
The Presler is NOT a gaming processor, it's a dual core multitasking processor. IT IS NOT MEANT FOR GAMING! The FX-60 is! They are two very different CPUs. However, the Presler is BETTER then the X2 4800+ in MULTITASKING.

Want proof!? Well, here it is!

SYSMark 2004 SE
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...resler_11.html

Audio and Video Encoding
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...resler_12.html

Image and Video Editing
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...resler_13.html

Gaming Applications
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...resler_14.html

Yes, I'm all sure it is. However, that wasn't your original argument. Your argument was that the Presler outperforms the X2 4800 overall... That it does not do.

Also, I see you quoting Xbitlabs, which has been (time and time again) grilled on the fact that they are Intel bias. But even so, proving to me that it can't play games lets me know that it can't handle "stress". Besides, those are synthetic benchmarks which I've told you about. They only emulate real-life situations. Unfortunately, they cannot test for stress, in which AMD wins hands down.


Quote:

As you can clearly see, the Presler wins in every single event involving multitasking, and even in some gaming applications! The AMD Athelon X2 4800+ is NOT a better mulitasking CPU, which is what it is designed for, hence the DUAL CORES. A Dual-Core CPU is not meant for gaming, although it can, unliek the FX-60, which is meant to be a dual-core gaming CPU. And seeing as how intel currently at the moment has no dual-core gaming CPU, you can't compare. But, once the Conroe comes out, that very well may change!

*Sighs*
The Presler isn't even a true Dual Core processor. Intel even said it themselves. It's a double core processor. Also, considering that the two cores can't even talk to each other directly, it's not the king of multitasking. It's only great in multitasking as long as HyperThreading is used. Unfortunately, many applications do not take advantage of that technology, because Dual Core is much more productive and efficient.
__________________

__________________
The best quotes I've ever heard:
RaistlinZ - "I think God woke up one day (probably around Noon. dude likes to sleep in) and said to himself, "OMFG, these dinosaurs are just kicking too much ass. The world is not ready for them yet." "
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:58 PM   #73
In Runtime
 
Quinton McLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 298
Default Re: Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 Processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337DuD3
And yet somehow despite all these, "bottlenecks" it still outperforms your AMD Athelon64 X2 4800+!!! How amazing is that!

And yes, I did change the argument to the CPUs aren't meant for gaming. Simply because you're comparing the FX-60 to a CPU that isn't even built for gaming! There's no comparison!

Read my posts. I've been speaking about the X2 4800+ the entire time. Go ahead and scroll up to read it.

Also, the Presler is outperforming the 4800+ only in applications. It's not in games. Kinda sad considering that this processor is overclocked and being compared to a stock processor.

You shouldn't be so quick to declare Presler the winner when that particular processor is:

1) Overclocked

2) Borderline throttling

Why? Because you're comparing this to a stock processor that is not overclocked or throttling. If you made the playing field more fair, you'd see that the AMD 4800+ is winning by miles.
__________________
The best quotes I've ever heard:
RaistlinZ - "I think God woke up one day (probably around Noon. dude likes to sleep in) and said to himself, "OMFG, these dinosaurs are just kicking too much ass. The world is not ready for them yet." "
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:01 AM   #74
BSOD
 
JustinMcG67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,519
Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67
Default Re: Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 Processor

Quote:
Yes, I'm all sure it is. However, that wasn't your original argument. Your argument was that the Presler outperforms the X2 4800 overall... That it does not do.
How does it lose hands down. I just gave you proof! And don't even give me, "XBitlabs is biased." That's bull. There's ten times as many AMD biased reviewers out there as there are intel reviewers. So don't even say, "XBitlabs is biased." Pfftt please...

Quote:
The Presler isn't even a true Dual Core processor. Intel even said it themselves. It's a double core processor. Also, considering that the two cores can't even talk to each other directly, it's not the king of multitasking. It's only great in multitasking as long as HyperThreading is used. Unfortunately, many applications do not take advantage of that technology, because Dual Core is much more productive and efficient.
Not a, "True dual core?" Ok so the TWO cores it has, that doesn't make it a DUAL core? It's a dual core CPU. Regardless of what you say. intel said the first Pentium D wasn't a Dual Core CPU, they then later said that the "Pentium D 9xx is there first true DUAL core CPU." It's even in the Processors section! Just search for it!

*sigh*
You need to just accept the fact that the Pentium D is in fact a formiddable CPU against the AMD X2 line up. Regardless of the reviewing sites that claim AMD is better or that intel is better, the Pentium D is an amazing CPU and almost anyone would be happy to have one. It runs at very good speeds, has an amazing L2 cache, and it dual core. It's a great CPU, just accept that.
JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:09 AM   #75
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 Processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinton McLeod

Interesting how all of a sudden you're argument changes to, "Presler isn't geared toward games". Our original argument was about overall performance... The Presler failed that test already, as an older processor out performs it.

The Intel Presler's pipelines isn't whats holding it back. It's the entire architexture. The way it was built, it was made to have multiple bottlenecks.

1) The Dual (Double) Core process that Intel has laid out is a bottleneck. For one thing, the cores can't even talk to each other directly. They have to communicate directly through the FSB. That's a bottleneck

2) The cores are based of the CISC instruction set which already forces the processor to do less per clock. That's a bottleneck.

3) The Netburst technology, where you take the CPU's instructions and disassemble them and reassemble them in the assembly line format, is slow. It also makes the processor run much hotter.

4) The forever aging FSB is one of the biggest bottlenecks. Especially since the cores communicate using this same bus.

As far as pipelines are concerned. Encoding for the Presler is easy because all the pipelines are doing is streaming the same data over and over and over. So, there's not much calculating considering that encoding is nothing more but repeating the same calculations over and over.

im surprised as you got how the pipelines seemed to work. And Intel is ditching the NetBurst architecture mind you. Conroe is going to be based off the Yonah. And AMD is just changing the A64 to accomodate the AM2 socket. Not much change other than upping the FSB to 266.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #76
In Runtime
 
Quinton McLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 298
Default Re: Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 Processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337DuD3
How does it lose hands down. I just gave you proof! And don't even give me, "XBitlabs is biased." That's bull. There's ten times as many AMD biased reviewers out there as there are intel reviewers. So don't even say, "XBitlabs is biased." Pfftt please...



Not a, "True dual core?" Ok so the TWO cores it has, that doesn't make it a DUAL core? It's a dual core CPU. Regardless of what you say. intel said the first Pentium D wasn't a Dual Core CPU, they then later said that the "Pentium D 9xx is there first true DUAL core CPU." It's even in the Processors section! Just search for it!

Everytime you talk, you're consistantly wrong. Don't talk about things you know nothing about.

For your information, the Presler is "Double Core". Read all about it here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/10/...o_double_core/



Quote:
*sigh*
You need to just accept the fact that the Pentium D is in fact a formiddable CPU against the AMD X2 line up. Regardless of the reviewing sites that claim AMD is better or that intel is better, the Pentium D is an amazing CPU and almost anyone would be happy to have one. It runs at very good speeds, has an amazing L2 cache, and it dual core. It's a great CPU, just accept that.

I'm not arguing the fact that the Presler is or is not a formiddable processor against AMD's X2 lineup. It really is indeed! However, the Presler is not
killing AMD at all and it doesn't beat the 4800+ in overall performance at all!

I'm sorry to break your little heart, but the Presler barely competes against AMD's old processors.
__________________
The best quotes I've ever heard:
RaistlinZ - "I think God woke up one day (probably around Noon. dude likes to sleep in) and said to himself, "OMFG, these dinosaurs are just kicking too much ass. The world is not ready for them yet." "
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #77
In Runtime
 
Quinton McLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 298
Default Re: Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 Processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage
im surprised as you got how the pipelines seemed to work. And Intel is ditching the NetBurst architecture mind you. Conroe is going to be based off the Yonah. And AMD is just changing the A64 to accomodate the AM2 socket. Not much change other than upping the FSB to 266.

True, Intel is going to ditch the NetBurst.
AMD is switching to the AM2, but that's so they can take advantage of DDR 2 which will further increase the AMD product line performance.

The FSB is what Intel is using. Upping the FSB to 266 is not a drastic change in bus speed.
__________________

__________________
The best quotes I've ever heard:
RaistlinZ - "I think God woke up one day (probably around Noon. dude likes to sleep in) and said to himself, "OMFG, these dinosaurs are just kicking too much ass. The world is not ready for them yet." "
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0