Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 Processor

really now? FX-60 will use old architecture and the old 90nm process. Conroe is based on the Pentium M.

Quinton McLeod said:

4.5 GHZ on air at 79C!!

That's way beyond an overclock. That's a meltdown.

Please try not to mix up the Conroe core with the Prescott core. :p They are completely different and unlike the Prescott, the Conroe isn't a stovetop.

alvino said:
Please try not to mix up the Conroe core with the Prescott core. :p They are completely different and unlike the Prescott, the Conroe isn't a stovetop.

Darn skippy. The Conroe core is a beast. Much better then the Prescott core. Hopefully we can FINALLY hit 5GHz on an aftermarket heatsink and fan. :)

What exactly does nm mean... what is 90nm and 65nm? I always hear it but never know exactly what it means.

EricM said:
What exactly does nm mean... what is 90nm and 65nm? I always hear it but never know exactly what it means.

It is the manufacturing process. nm = nanometers.

alvino said:

I'm talking about the Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955XE, which runs the Presler core and not the Conroe core. I wasn't even thinking of the Prescott.

Well the Presler is basically a Prescott core on 65nm with improved voltage consumption and heat dissapation. Becides, even if the Presler sucks, it's only when it's at stock speeds. Overclock it and it'll fly like you've never flown before.

What I'm really disappointed about is the AMD Athlon FX-60. It costs about $1,200 and there isn't anything new about it. Only 2.6ghz and it uses the Toledo core on the 90nm process. Even if it has unlocked multipliers, AMD traditionally doesn't overclock as high as Intel does. Heck, I'd rather get the Athlon X2 4800+ instead. It's the same Toledo core, same 90nm, same 2.6ghz, same everything except for the fact that it's multipliers aren't locked. It's about $400 cheaper than the FX-60 too, which makes it a pretty good deal. How disappointing...:(

Back
Top Bottom