Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 Processor

alvino

Golden Master
This morning at 10am Intel announced its new Pentium Processor 955 Extreme Edition CPU, formerly code-named Presler. This chip, which goes on sale to the public on January 16 for $999, is the second generation of dual-core consumer desktop CPU's from the chip giant. Intel has made a number of changes to it's dual core processor series and many will call this Intel's first true dual core processor. This processor features two separate cores with 2MB L2 cache each for a total of 4MB, a 266MHz Quad Pumped Front Side Bus for a solid 1066MHz system bus, Intel Virtualization Technology, and it was all done on the 65nm process over the previous 90nm package found on the previous Prescott and Extreme Edition processors.

presler_default.jpg

Intel 9XX Series Processors and Pricing:

If you are starting to read this article and already losing hope, because there is a $999 price tag fear not as Intel is also rolling out several other 9XX series processors at lower price points. Intel has confirmed that it has been mass-producing 65 nm Pentium D processors for some time now in its D1D fab in Hillsboro, Oregon and they will be on the market to purchase starting January 16, 2006.

* Intel 955 - $999 - 3.46GHz
* Intel 950 - $637 - 3.4GHz
* Intel 940 - $423 - 3.2GHz
* Intel 930 - $316 - 3.0GHz
* Intel 920 - $241 - 2.8GHz

Intel Pentium Processor EE 955 Specifications:

* 3.46GHz Dual Core Processor
* 1066MHz "Quad-Pumped" frontside bus
* .065-micron manufacturing process
* 4MB on-chip, full-speed L2 cache - 2MB for each core
* LGA775 Packaging - Land Grid Array
* 1.20 - 1.33V operating voltage range
* 130 watts TPD (Thermal Design Power)
* Die Size: Approximately 140mm2
* Approximately 376M Transistors

Intel Pentium Processor Extreme Edition 955 Features:

Dual-Core Processor: Provides two independent processor cores in one physical package allowing the platform to do more in less time while you enjoy responsive interaction with your PC

Intel Hyper-Threading: Allows each core to function as two logical processors providing better data throughput when used with thread-enabled software

Intel Virtualization Technology: Enables platforms to run multiple operating systems and/or applications in independent partitions or environments

2 x 2 MB Level 2 Cache: Each processor core is equipped with its own 2 MB Level 2 cache allowing the execution cores to quickly access data for processing

1066 MHz FSB: Delivers excellent system bandwidth for maximizing efficiency and improving system performance

Execute Disable Bit: Offers improved protection against malicious "buffer overflow" attacks when properly enabled with a supporting operating system

Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (EM64T): Enables platforms to access larger amounts of memory and will support developing 64-bit operating systems and applications

You can read the rest here:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/278/1/

My dad used to work over at intel. Infact over half of Hillsboro is actually empolyed by intel. They make our 80,000 population noticeable on the map. But yeah, over at intel they actually have this little "tour" thing where you can go in and take a walk around and check out the latest things they're doing. Plus at the end they have a computer lab where you can actually surf the net. It's really cool. I've been there on a few school field trips back in the past. There's also a campus in Aloha, which is like 10 minutes away where they do all the processing and making the chips and what not, basically the peopel in the "rabbit" suits.

But yeah, I should go an get some pictures of the place for you guys some time. Maybe I'll just happen to get "lost" and "accidentlly" walk into their newst chip lineup and "accidentally" take a few Presler chips. :D

too little too late. the dual core bandwagon has been owned by amd since it began, its going to take more than a delayed reaction from intel for me to put my trust into them.

As impressive as the specs are, Intel's glory will be for a brief moment. AMD will come right back with an Intel counterpart. I'm just looking forward to see how those Presler's perform.

Back
Top Bottom