Intel Pentium D vs Conroe e6400

d_source

Daemon Poster
My friend is building a PC, well not really building but having one put together for him. The guy who is doing it says that the Intel Pentium D 945 65-nm technology 2x2 MB L2 3.40 GHz 800 MHz is a better choice for him than the core 2 duo e 6400 (which will cost him $50 more).
I know a little of the conroe tests and how good that processor is but know nothing of the pentium D series. Is it worth it to pay an extra $50 to get the 6400 or is the guy at the store right in saying that the D 945 is a more powerful processor.

Please keep in mind, he will be using this machine for basic things, like surfing the web, word processing, etc. He knows nothing of OC'ing and will never know, he is basic on PCs.

THX.

Well, for what he is doing, the D should do fine, but for gaming and more advanced stuff, the core2 duo is a much better processor. The best processor out there right now for its price, quad core is too much right now.

the E6400 is way better than the pentium D. No question about it.
But since the only thing your friend is doing is basic stuff, he doesn't really need a good cpu. In this case I would say it's best to save the $50 and get the pentium D, it should be more than good enough for his needs.

Thanks.

If u had to compare the 2 side by side (if they were the same price) which is better?
If u had to compare the 945 D to the E6300 which is better?

d_source said:
Thanks.

If u had to compare the 2 side by side (if they were the same price) which is better?
If u had to compare the 945 D to the E6300 which is better?

same price, side by side the conroe is still far better. core 2 duo processors are the best on the market right now and blow everything else out of the water.

945D vs. E6300: E6300 is better by far. It does have a lower clock speed (1.83GHZ) but it's got a bunch of stuff inside that makes it faster and the low clock speed enables it to run cool and it's also extremely overclockable.

troy272 said:
same price, side by side the conroe is still far better. core 2 duo processors are the best on the market right now and blow everything else out of the water.

945D vs. E6300: E6300 is better by far. It does have a lower clock speed (1.83GHZ) but it's got a bunch of stuff inside that makes it faster and the low clock speed enables it to run cool and it's also extremely overclockable.

Thanks. I gave my friend the same advice, that no matter what the conroes are better, but i think hes gonna stick with the 945D. Wont matter to him anyways b/c he doesnt do much more than simple email/surfing and occasional photoshoping on his PC. The extra power from the E6300 or E6400 wouldnt even be noticeable.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom