Intel Pentium D Extreme E840 = very angry

coldsoviet112

Beta member
So i have a like a 2 or 3 (cant remember) year old xps 400. Got the Intel Pentium D Extreme E840 with hyper-threading (whatever that means). I have 3 gigs o' ram (2-512s and 2-1 gig pieces). then theres vista home premium which i count as one of the worst mistakes of my life thus far. oh and lets not forget that new card i upgraded to from a PNY 6800 gs, the to eVGA 8800 gts. there seems to be a slight problem here on the framerates of all of my games (supreme commander, tiberium wars, medival II). COULD IT BE THE PROCESSOR!?:eek: hmm i wonder... i need a new one. don't want to spend more than 50 or 60 bucks. I know thats not asking for a heck of a lot but i've been told that i can still get an upgrade with that. I want to go AMD but that means a new board + new ram + yadda yadda yadda which = more money. what should i do?

did you have the problem before you had the 8800 gts??? if not then my guess is that theres something wrong with the graphics card, coz the cpu even tho its a lil old is still good, plus you have 3GB of mem in which is good...

but if you want to upgrade the cpu.... it depends what chipset your motherboard is, and which intel cpu it can support

you sure thats a pentium D and not a pentium 4 ?

im guessing its a pentium 4 and if it is then that will be your problem the 8800GTS is used to be accompanied by CPU's such as the E6600 and the Q6600 not an old P4

id even say if it is pentium D that would still be bottleknecking, also what speed is your RAM

yeah, for sure its a pentium D. its was the top of the line when the dual core processors first hit the market. but that was years ago.

this website here says everything is good but the processor when i run the diagnostic.
http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10151/

it recommends different ones for different games. I just want somthing that will last a while ya know but isnt going to piss me off in the next 6 months with star craft and red alert 3

Back
Top Bottom