INTEL P4 3.0 GHZ or AMD 64 2800+????

piyonerd

Solid State Member
Okay... i need a bit of more help on picking between a INTEL and AMD. I know that there are alot of other threads that discuss this but mines a bit different... its not just the processor.... it's also other hardware. Also keep in mind that theyre the SAME EXACT PRICE.

INTEL P4 3.0 GHZ___________________________________________

-TURBO X-DREAMER CASE 350 WATT W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Black)
-STANDARD CASE POWER SUPPLY
-12" COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT SOUND ACTIVED (Blue)
-(800Mhz FSB) Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU @ 3.0GHZ 1MB w/ Hyper Threading
-*(DDR400-800MHz FSB)ABIT IS7-V2 848P, Intel® i848 Mainboard PRESCOTT SUPPORT w/ LAN & 5.1 SOUND W/SATA
-Geil Value 256 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY
-IBM 80GB 7200 RPM IDE ATA100 2MB BUFFER INTERNAL HARD DRIVE
-NVIDIA GeForce-4 MX-4000 64MB AGP
-CD-RW 52X32X52
-3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD 18 BIT
-Intel Pentium 4 478-PIN CPU COOLING FAN
-Logitech X530 70Watts 5.1 Configuration Speaker System
The keyboard & mouse junk i discluded.

AMD ATHLON 64 2800+_______________________________________
Same exact thing i posted above but the differences are as follows:

-(754-pin) AMD ATHLON64 2800+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology
-(754-pin Socket) Abit KV8 PRO VIA K8T800 Chipset AGP8X w/LAN,USB2,&Audio
-GEIL VALUE 512MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY
-NVIDIA GeForce-FX 5200 128MB DDR W/ TV OUT & DVI

Okay, as i look at it, the major difference between these two is the RAM and the Vid card. Since everthing else is the same except processor speed, the ram, and the vid card, I will probably conclude that i should get the amd 64 deal. My guess of the huge difference between the ram and the vid card of the two is probably because the INTEL p4 w/ Hyperthread is better than the AMD 64? What do you guys suggest, the intel or the amd?

AMD, hands down. HT technology is only good in games that support it. And Intel is expensive also. You'll also be 64-bit ready, when Windows Longhorn comes out.

This is an easy one to see. The Athlon 64 is much better. Here's why. You have more memory in the Athlon system, the video card is much better compared to the other graphics board and you have a good chipset to go with it. Athlon 64 is simply the best right now. Internal DDR memory controllers and Hypertransport links help reduce the presence of bottlenecks from data being passed through different parts of the system. Memory traffic don't have to run between the processor and the Northbridge. The Northbridge usually provides the memory controller with data, and removing this bottleneck increases overall performance.

TRDCorolla1 said:
This is an easy one to see. The Athlon 64 is much better. Here's why. You have more memory in the Athlon system, the video card is much better compared to the other graphics board and you have a good chipset to go with it. Athlon 64 is simply the best right now. Built in memory controller speeds everything up.

But the only drawback to the integrated memory controller is that it doesnt support Dual Channel, so you can't take advantage of the extra speed Dual Channel has to offer. But other than that it pwns the P4 in pretty much every aspect.

yeah, but if he were to get the 939 supported socket motherboard, dual channel opens up. That 754 board doesn't support it unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom