Intel makes performance claims, AMD rebuffs them

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
http://news.com.com/Intel+makes+per...fs+them/2100-1006_3-6043587.html?tag=nefd.top

Good article to read regarding the rivalry between AMD and Intel.

"The integrated memory controller is still AMD's greatest advantage, Richard said. Integrating the memory controller allows that key link between the processor and memory to run at the speed of the chip, moving data into the processor more quickly than the front-side bus used by Intel's chips. Analysts and reviewers have consistently given an edge to AMD because of this feature, which Intel is not expected to duplicate anytime soon."

"If you were to ask anybody at Intel with intellectual honesty, if they had a magic wand, would they go ahead and (integrate the controller)? They'd say 'yes,'" Richard said. LOL :D

Seems like they keep denying each other on being the best. It's kind of funny. It's a bit of reading, but some good stuff are pointed out.

Ill read it tomorrow. Its been a long day.. Gettin up 5:45, going to drivers ed, school, a skit for a class, dealing with teachers.. driving.. karate.. Yeah.. big day. I can barely keep my eyes open, much less read :D

Yeah, not exactly. Like my 630, owns a 3000+. Well not owns, but its better in every aspect. I think.. Lol.. At least in multi-tasking. And they compete against each other..

Bädgêr™ said:

Ok. Don't believe the truth. But, just for the sake of proving you wrong. Let's display the benchmarks! :D

image005.gif

image011.gif

image012.gif

Tom's Hardware Guide said:
With the exception of a few audio and video encoding benchmarks, the Athlon 64 FX-60 represents the new device to beat as far as performance goes, thanks to its two processing cores. This superlative also applies to our multitasking benchmarks. If you intend to use either ATI or NVIDIA's multi GPU platform (Crossfire and SLI respectively), this processor is a great choice for the best-possible 3D gaming experience.

At the same time, the power consumption of our test system remained at acceptable levels. At full CPU load, the nForce4-based system consumed a maximum of 223 W. This compares to the 300 W a comparable Intel Pentium D or Pentium Extreme Edition device requires. Although the difference becomes smaller in idle mode with Windows, AMD clearly offers the product with the better energy efficiency.

But there are downsides as well: The Athlon 64 FX-60 not only is the most expensive AMD desktop processor, but its life span will be short. AMD is getting ready to release the new Socket M2 processor platform in the first half of this year. Also, AMD is about to shift from a 90 to 65 nm process, which will result in the output of new, faster processors very soon- whether this happens in sync with the platform change or not remains to be seen. The socket 939 FX-60 could thus become obsolete over night, which should make you think twice before spending $1,000.

Back
Top Bottom