intel Intel Pentium D 840 3.2GHz compred to amd 64 3200

snowman15

Solid State Member
ok so heres my deal. im lookin to get a new computer kindda and i saw this processor for fairly cheap

Intel Pentium D 840 3.2GHz / 2MB Cache / 800 FSB / OEM / Socket 775 / Dual-Core / Processor

right now i have the amd athlon 3200+ which runs at like 2.0 ghz but if u compare it to an intel ur suposed to take 3.2 ( 00+) and thats how u compare.

but anyway i was wondering if the 3.2 ghz was total or was it 3.2 for EACH of the "cores" becaues its duel core so does it get kind of like TWO 3.2 GHZ processors??
also i saw the fsb was 800 and mine right now is only like 200 so im guessin it would be quite a bit faster?
any feedback?

It's 3.2GHz all together. AMD FSBs are clocked at 200 MHz but Intel uses a quad data rate known as FSB800 in for marketing purposes, sheshh, while AMD is sticking with double data rate (FSB400).

ok so say i have an intel single core 3.2 ghz
is it going to be the same as a dual core 3.2 ghz

or since the dual core has 2 lines into the processor and 2 lines out, is it goin to be the same speed but get like the equivilent of 2 times more data through it??

is that kinddah ow it works?

Dual core will give you better multi-tasking performance and little boost in overall processing, but the speed is the same. If you want single core, I think the AMD Athlon 3200+ is better than the P4. If you want dual core, go for the AMD X23800+, it is only like $159 now.

For me, I would always go with a dual core processor. With that said, get the Pentium D. It's multithreaded design was made for true multitasking.

someone just told me that without the windows xp duel core operating system or an operating system that supports duel core, it pretty much doesnt do anything plus they siad it was a bit more INconvient becuase it has to keep switching back adn fourth between cores
idk something liek that
any thoughts?

Nope, its not inconvinient. It works just like a regular cpu. It doesnt go back and forth from core to core for one thread.

Back
Top Bottom