Intel i7 5500U vs i7 4720hq

So I called HP last night and canceled the order with the 5500U. I place a new order with the 4720hq. It ended up saving me $100 too. I think I'll be a happy camper now.

No wonder they tried to push tha 5500U on you. They want that $100. :lol:

It is probably WAY overkill for what I need, but that is how I roll. Everything I do is overkill, I like the best. I want to be able to throw anything at this laptop with out it missing a beat.

Nothing is overkill. :D

I think I blew my load prematurely on switching processors! Now that I'm looking at the new chip more, the 4720hq only comes with Intel's HD graphics 4600. Where as the 5500U came with a nvidia gtx 850m 4g graphics card. Reading up on the performance differences between the 2, it looks like the gtx is far superior.

I am reading that the I intel's integrated graphics cannot play most games. I am not a hard core gamer, but I do play the occasional first person shooter, at least on consoles. I used to play COD a lot on PS3. I would like the ability to throw in a game and be able to play at least at medium settings. So I guess there is a trade off......get a really good cpu and crappy graphics, or get a decent cpu with much better graphics.

So my arms are up in the air again! Do I cancel my order once more and go back to the 5500U with the better graphics? I know that the 4720 will be way overkill, and probably won't even get close to its full potential. On the other hand, will the 5500U be enough for what I need?!? HP will probably be pissed at me if I change again. Oh well, they will still be getting my money.

Can you add a new card in a laptop? I did a little research and I read that you couldn't. But I didn't understand that because there is a option to buy this particular laptop with a separate card. So my thinking is that I could add a card. If I did add a card, do you think it would void my warrenty?

I just spent an hour on the phone with HP trying to figure out if it was possible to add a different graphics card to this laptop. It's so hard to talk to someone who doesn't understand what I am asking. I got transferred at least 7 times, had to call 4 different numbers.....all I wanted to know is if it was possible, and they kept telling me that the laptop was already in production, and I couldn't make any changes. Ehhhh.

Anyway I did a little research myself, and watched some YouTube videos, and I don't think I can add a card. Because the 4720 has intergrated graphics, I don't think the mother board can accept a card. There probably isn't a spot for it, and there probably isn't a cooling pipe to it. If I had gone with the 5500 which already had a graphics card, those things would be in place. Maybe because the 5500U ran cooler it would accept a graphics card, and maybe because the 4720hq runs hotter it won't? And that's why I can't get the 4720 with the gtx card.

Hmmm....I want a laptop that can do a little of everything, and mabye this isn't the one. Now I questioning if the 5500 will work for me.

I don't know.....

Last edited:
Not trying to be rude but this is a prime example of not doing your homework FIRST. You shop and shop and shop BEFORE you lay your money down. Now your not sure about what you want and what you can get.
Not all laptop packages come with aftermarket GPUs. They're not building one for you, they're putting one together from a motherboard and what can go on it. That's why they only offer certain packages for a certain price. You want to jigger stuff around on it, it's going to cost you dearly. And not all boards will take all things on it.

I shopped for 3 months before I got my HP G7. Because I did, I'm quite pleased with it. And I'm still happy with it several years later. My next one will take some doing to top what I have now for what I gave for it.

Don't lose heart yet mate. That integrated graphics may do the job after all. Give it a chance.

Ah, I didn't know we were shopping around for laptops which had different GPUs AND CPUs, as a gaming package, the i7 5500U and the Geforce card would be better.

Saying that, the Intel HD4600 is one of the few integrated graphics solutions that isn't terrible, probably somewhere between a Geforce GT820M and GT830M

Back
Top Bottom