Intel Core 2 Duo or Intel Dual Xeon?

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
Which is better, the Xeon or the Core 2 Duo. I had a Core 2 Duo E7200 (originally 2.53GHz) but the whole computer fried and I lost the motherboard and cpu (possibly more too) so I thought that I would just buy a cheapish PC off ebay and upgrade it a little, or buy a new motherboard for my custom build and get a Xeon. I found a Dell Precision 530 with a 2.8GHz Dual Xeon, so how would that compare to my Core 2 Duo? thanks.

Xeon's are traditionally for Servers, but more and more people are OC'ing them, and using them on desktop computers.

I use it mostly for games. Sorry I don't know which socket it is because I'm not sure which one I'd get, if I do. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Just found a 65NM Intel Xeon Quad Core 2.40GHz how would that compare to my Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53GHz or a Q6600 for games and multitasking. Would a LGA 775 Xeon fit a regular motherboard for example, my last one: Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L (this supports 45NM Core 2 Quad).

I don't think a Xeon would work on a normal 775 board. Best bet though would be to find the board you like & then email the manufacturer and see if it's supported (unless it's listed of course)

It depends which Xeon series (also not to be confused with Xenons)

Worshipme and myself both had E3110 Xeons in Skt 775 boards, there are also Quad Xeons 3xxx series as well but I believe the dual Xeon boards are Skt 771 and they take 5xxx series (and others too iirc) Xeons

Back
Top Bottom