Intel Atom Temp

TP-Oreilly

In Runtime
Hi, ive just bought a netbook with an intel atom n570 and its temp averages 52C, is this right or too high?

Also, ive ran prime95 (only for about 20 minutes) and the highest temp it reached was 81C.

Another thing, the cpu fan on the left side of my netbook blows very weakly, is that normal for netbook?

its running pretty hot. Intel doesn't have an official Max. Temp for it, but I'm assuming its almost there.

I think it actually might be ok from looking at other stuff on the internet. Does anyone else have a n550 or n570 cpu in a netbook?

When i use realtemp it shows my cpu temps 10C lower, but i use realtempGT it shows them as the same as what core temp does, so what is right, realtemp and core temp or realtempGT showing 10C lower?

Your temps are fine for an Intel chip in a small formfactor computer.

If the temps get too high, the system will start throttling the chip or shutting down (throttling is first, so if it seems especially slow, then I'd start to be concerned) but seeing as how the Atom is not a very fast chip in the first place... meh.

Thanks for your info. I wasnt expecting it so be so high (mid 50's) on just web browsing seeing as its a very low wattage cpu (8.5) and has a cpu fan on it.

Do all atoms in netbooks have these kind of temps?

Wattage rating on a CPU does not equate into a lower temperature on the thermal sensor. The lower wattage is a power usage rating. The Atom is rated as low as 6 watts and can still get really toasty. They're engineered to run at those temps though, so don't worry about it much. Just do your best to keep the heatsink free of dust, and make sure that the fan works when it needs to.

Ok, at the moment while im on the internet the temps are 61C and 60C. I cant really keep the heatsink dust free unless i take my laptop apart, or i could blow into it?? The fan does kick in a little more when the temps get high but only a little, the fan is very weak, i can barely feel it, is that supposed to be like that? Thanks

The fan is rated for the unit. I haven't heard of any recalls going on for that particular unit due to cooling or fan issues.

You CAN blow air into the heatsink channels, but ONLY do it in short bursts (very quick, no more than a second) so that you don't spin the fan too fast and spin a bearing out, which would quickly ruin any cooling ability.

Netbooks will never run at temps you'll get from aftermarket heatsinks on desktop systems. Very few laptops run below 40C under full load, and as I said, they're engineered to withstand that level of heat, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Back
Top Bottom