Installing XP on SATA HDD issue....

Eyes0nly

Baseband Member
OK i recently built a computer and have a WD sata 200gb hard drive as the only hard drive in their now when i go to setup XP on it I was able to format it and partition it into to 2 partitions. Ok now the XP CD copies over all the stuff it needs for the install and reboots but the thing is it keeps doing the same thing and asking me to copy over the files again like it is in a loop i've done it about a million times and it doesn't want to get any further than that????

My system is this:
AMD 64 3500+
WD 200GB SATA HDD
1GB RAM
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB graphics card
DVD
Floppy

Cheers,
Eyes0nly

Start again with a format and install, when the computer reboots dont hit any key just let it do it's thing and reboot on it's own. It will then continue the install.

Wombat said:
Start again with a format and install, when the computer reboots dont hit any key just let it do it's thing and reboot on it's own. It will then continue the install.

LOL, duhhhhh---->ME

lurkswithin said:
LOL, duhhhhh---->ME
Hey, it happened to me the first time I went to format and re-install Win XP. Micro$oft have not got this documented at all, about this not hitting the any key a second time. One of the reasons I made the self install cd. Chuck it in and walk away...

You're not alone...

Happened to me too. Took 3 times going round and round to figure it out. I was so mad the cats learned a whole new vocabulary.

I have just never really thought too much about it as it to me is common sense. And I use a slipstreamed install disc myself, so really don't ever see the messages any more at all. I really have to did deep to remember the install/repair sequences when I need to explain to someone else. I used to have them copied to notepad/wordpad but I have so many of those posty notes all over the place I can't even find anything any more...need to take a break and get reorganized I do believe.

Wombat said:
Yeah I let it do that everytime i tried to install it, but it still goes through the same process of copying the files over then rebootingand then it starts again.

Did you enable the LBA in the bios? and what size are the partitions?
Where abouts would i locate the LBA in the bios? Everything is enabled in the intergrated peripherals, except IDE prim master & slave RAID & IDE secondary master & slave RAID.
The first partition is ~50GB and the second is ~150GB

Cheers,
Eyes0nly

Where abouts would i locate the LBA in the bios? Everything is enabled in the intergrated peripherals, except IDE prim master & slave RAID & IDE secondary master & slave RAID.
The first partition is ~50GB and the second is ~150GB
sorry there mate, i miss read your posting about being on sata.
But in curriosity How are you installing the program. from an orriginal M$ installation disc or from a file or what.
M$ says that you are not checking the "I agree" box in the EULA and that is why you are stuck in the endless loop. That is the only reference that I can find in the knowledge base

Yeah the OS is a legal copy, i'm installing from the CD and i have to agree to the eula before it will go onto copy the preperation files over to the HDD, but it's all old school dos layout i push f8 to agree to the eula rather than click a check box?

Cheers,
Inept

Back
Top Bottom