Installing OS from scratch on new PC

somebody1

Beta member
I am just about to build my new PC, but before I start, I just wanted to ask a few questions so that I can be prepared before hand.

1) What motherboard drivers do I need to install for the Asus P6T Deluxe? Looking at the the Asus website, and there seems to be loads of drivers (chipset, LAN, SATA drivers etc etc) for the Asus P6T deluxe motherboard, do you need to install all of them?

2) I am looking to create a dual boot system with Windows XP Professional x64 and Windows Vista Ultimate x64 OS's. I was just wondering would that mean I would need to install separate drivers for the mobo/graphics cards for both OS's?

3) I was reading that for optimal performance, it is best to create a separate partition just for the page file and that this partition should be on a separate drive. Now what I want to know is :

a) Would I need to move both swap files for both OS's onto this partition
b) Is it worth moving the page/swap file onto a partition that exists on a 2nd hard drive if it is slower? (I was planning to move it to a 7200RPM 16MB Cache Samsung Spinpoint Hard Drive).

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to be prepared and eke out as much performance as I can for my new PC.

Thanks in advance

my answers are in red :cool:
I am just about to build my new PC, but before I start, I just wanted to ask a few questions so that I can be prepared before hand.

1) What motherboard drivers do I need to install for the Asus P6T Deluxe? Looking at the the Asus website, and there seems to be loads of drivers (chipset, LAN, SATA drivers etc etc) for the Asus P6T deluxe motherboard, do you need to install all of them?all you have to do is put the CD that came with the mobo and it will be taken care of

2) I am looking to create a dual boot system with Windows XP Professional x64 and Windows Vista Ultimate x64 OS's. I was just wondering would that mean I would need to install separate drivers for the mobo/graphics cards for both OS's? hmmmm i do belive so, but im not sure. maybe a guru can chime in

3) I was reading that for optimal performance, it is best to create a separate partition just for the page file and that this partition should be on a separate drive. Now what I want to know is :

b) Is it worth moving the page/swap file onto a partition that exists on a 2nd hard drive if it is slower? (I was planning to move it to a 7200RPM 16MB Cache Samsung Spinpoint Hard Drive).
okay im lost on this one
i would just install one OS on main HDD. Which ever OS that maybe, then after installation. You add your 2nd HDD, and install the other OS on that HDD. But thats just me.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to be prepared and eke out as much performance as I can for my new PC.

Thanks in advance

1) What motherboard drivers do I need to install for the Asus P6T Deluxe? Looking at the the Asus website, and there seems to be loads of drivers (chipset, LAN, SATA drivers etc etc) for the Asus P6T deluxe motherboard, do you need to install all of them?
You probably won't need to install any. At most you might need the LAN drivers but most likely windows will have those drivers already. I'd download them and put them on a flash drive just to be safe. Other than that, you won't need anything else for your motherboard to get your pc up and running. You will need to install drivers for your other hardware though.

2) I am looking to create a dual boot system with Windows XP Professional x64 and Windows Vista Ultimate x64 OS's. I was just wondering would that mean I would need to install separate drivers for the mobo/graphics cards for both OS's?
Yes, you will need to install different drivers for the two different os's. Just go to the manufacturers website for each piece of hardware and download the appropriate drivers.

I don't know much about this, but I doubt it makes much difference. I wouldn't go nuts over it.

Back
Top Bottom