Installing New Ram Chip

DoctoerSnipe

Solid State Member
Hey guys, this is my first post here, so, gimme a break, lol.

Here goes:

I have an ASUS P4P8X SE Motherboard with Dual Channel DDR Memory. There are 4 slots for ram chips. 1 blue and 1 black that are paired together, then next to it there is another blue and black pair of ram slots. Right now, I have a 256mb ram card in each blue slot, which give me 512mb of ram. I have 2 open black slots. Can i just buy 2 more 256 cards or 2 more 512 cards and just put them in the 2 open slots? Will the CPU recognize them? Is there any installation hardware I need? Please help me out guys!? thanks a lot!

=Snipe=

yes u can just buy 2 more sticks and put them in. U just put them on their place and they should start working.

just make sure that all of the ram is the same speed. If some are slower then all of them will slow down to the speed that the slowest one use.

Well, since I have two 256mb chips in there, does that mean whatever chip I buy it has to be 256mb? Meaning, can i just put in a 512mb card, or do all the cards have to each be 256mb? Cuz i found two 256mb sticks on ebay for $10, and if I added those to my PC, i would have 1gb of Ram, Is that reasonably good? Help me out with all my questions guys! Please!

=snipe=

Well, the reason that two slots are blue and two slots are black is because it is dual channel. Basically, it takes advantage of two sticks of RAM running in parallel. Right now, the two sticks you have in the blue slots are running together to give faster performance, so adding just one more stick wouldn't help too much. Getting TWO more sticks, on the other hand, and pairing them in the black slots would retain the dual channel mode and keep your RAM running fast. So, long explanation short, get two sticks of whatever RAM you're going to get. It should be the same speed as your current RAM, but I believe it can be a greater size, if you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom