Re: Installing new DVD/CD rewritable drive
Piece of cake. Set the PC up on a table top. Ensure that you are working on an antistatic mat or have an antistatic wrist strap if you're extra nervous. I've never had any problems though by following this process:
- Set up the PC on a table or desk
- Ensure that you don't have anything conductive on, as you mentioned
- Leave the PC power cord connected, touch a metal frame part of the computer, like around the outer edges of the case.
- UNPLUG the power cord and any other cables if you haven't done so already
- Perform your task as necessary (remove the HDD, etc)
- Reassemble system
- Plug in, turn on.
The idea behind leaving it plugged in is that when you have it connected to a grounded outlet, and you touch the frame, you ground yourself and the PC out, and THEN you unplug the power. This is a universally recommended process for working on any type of computer or electronic equipment.