Installing my new CPU Heatsink

nstepho

In Runtime
Hey, I bought a new Zalman CNPS 9500 LED heatsink as suggested by some of the members here, and I was just wondering if Acetone Free nail polish remover is safe to clean off thermal paste with?

Also, I am having trouble figuring out whether I have a horizontaly or vertically oriented retention guide on my motherboard...? I have no idea what that means.

Thanks.

i used rubbing alcohol which is basicly what nail polish remover is and it worked great. dries fast too. my computer still running so it worked!

as for the bracket it shouldn't matter. as long as the HSF is made for your socket it will fit. i now zalman makes all there fans with a vertical lay out

Are you installing on a AMD system or a Intel system? If using AMD disregard this post. If your installing on a Intel based system you don't use the retention clip. You use the smaller of the 2 clips. I have the Zalman 9700 and believe its most likely the same setup. Mount the backplate and top piece. After you have that done use the rubbing alcohol preferable at least 70% or higher rubbing alcohol after doing so apply your thermal paste. The rub the fan/heatsink on it and spread it around. Put the smaller clip on it and bolt it down with the 2 mounting screws. I find it easier to remove the fan that way its easier to get in there and tighten it down.

It's an Intel socket 775. I got the backing plate on and screwed the top piece down onto it, cleaned the cpu with some acetone free nail polish remover, put the clip through the heatsink and then screwed it onto the top piece. Everything is working great and I have halved my idle temps.

PS. 100 posts!!! :D

I used lacquer thinner on q-tips to clean off the stock AMD compound. Kept using wet then dry until it was pretty clean. Then used a eyeglass cleaning cloth to finish. It evidently worked just fine.

Back
Top Bottom