installing IDE and SATA hard drives

Nopeitsacrane

Baseband Member
my friend is reformatting his computer with an 80g seagate SATA HD, and a 120g IDE seagate HD. when he goes into the bios it only recognizes the IDE one. Also when he boots from the windows cd it only recognizes the IDE HD to install onto and reformat. how would i make the 80g hard drive the master with windows on it?

Nopeitsacrane said:
my friend is reformatting his computer with an 80g seagate SATA HD, and a 120g IDE seagate HD. when he goes into the bios it only recognizes the IDE one. Also when he boots from the windows cd it only recognizes the IDE HD to install onto and reformat. how would i make the 80g hard drive the master with windows on it?
If it's not recognised in the bios there's something wrong with the hardware setup. Check the cables, is there an empty slot in the bios for hdds? or are all the slots filled? has he got enough slots initialised or are some set to disabled? Also try a different SATA port.

EDIT: nevermind lol, had brain failure with the edit, the above still applies :)

SATA controller driver

Your Motherboard or SATA controller card requires a driver to work properly. If you did not get a Floppy Disk with the SATA driver included with your Motherboard you will have to make one. The SATA drivers can be located on the installation CD that came with your Motherboard or preferably, download the latest SATA controller drivers from the manufacturers site. Once you have located the drivers copy them to a formatted floppy disk. Make sure they are in the root directory i.e. not contained within any folders.

BIOS settings

When you turn on the PC hit the Delete key when prompted and you will enter the BIOS (Basic Input Output System). Here you set the first boot device to be the CDROM drive, the option is usually found under the Advanced Options section but this depends on your BIOS and you may have to look around for it. Once you have done this save and exit.

Installing the SATA controller driver

Once you have set the PC to boot from the CD make sure the XP CD is in the CD drive and start the installation as per usual. Within the first minute or so of the installation Windows will prompt you to press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, do this. Windows will continue to install then ask you to locate the driver. now with the floppy disk created earlier in drive A: select the driver and hit Enter.

With the SATA drivers installed you can now continue the Windows installation as usual.

BIOS settings revisited

Once Windows has finished installing you will need to make sure the PC is set to boot from the SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA if the option is available. If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.

HotHardware.com

prosser13 said:
I wonder where he's plugged it in then...
well it could be as simple as it wont reconize it because he has a sata II but his mobo only knows sata I

also if it's in a raid that could be why it doesn't detect it right

ok well he has 2 sata slots, and it worked before he reformatted... i think it might be the drivers, but he brought it to a computer place to fix it

drivers definatley drivers he needs to download the driver and install windows and press f6 on instalation and yo should not have a problem just make sure you choose the correct driver when the windows instalation asks you part way through the setup.

Back
Top Bottom