Installing an ide hd on a sata mobo

joshua7981

Beta member
i have a dell 8400 w/sata hd. i already had a ide 160gb hd that i want to install. i bought a sata to ide converter off ebay, but when i installed it into my computer, it wouldnt recognize it then i started getting the blue screen of death imediately after the windows logo. I reinstalled windows and it still did it ,,,even after disconecting the harddrive,,,, i finally reset the cmos on the mobo and it worked ,,, i was just wondering if anyone one had tips or has had this problem,, and could help me install it sucessfully!!!

I don't know much about SATA drives yet, but I would suggest trying an actual controller rather than converter. You'd certainlly get better performace out of it...

Yeah, it might be best getting a new drive that is SATA.

But surely your motherboard is IDE compatable as well? Does it have IDE cables to connect to other optical drives? (cd rom/dvd), if so, it must have at least an IDE-0 and IDE-1 connection for hard drives which you can connect it to if you get an IDE cable.

How would you connect up your other devices if you didn't have it?
Do you know the make/model of your motherboard?

I hope this helps

yea look 4 an ide slot. it should look like a thing w/ lots of pins(not the floppy one) it should be somewhat near the sata connectors.

Back
Top Bottom