Installing heatsink/fan

phildapimp89

Solid State Member
Hello all, ArrizX introduced me to this forum from a Car Audio forum where I was asking a few questions about computers and such.

I recently picked up a Compaq Evo D510 Ultra Slim Desktop for extremely cheap without a processor / heatsink / fan. I honestly have no idea about fans/heatsinks so I wll do my best here...
The chipset is an Intel 845GL with a Socket 478 P4 Processor.

I do not know exactly what Heatsink/Fan I need, and HP of course does not provide any information on the model. I've been browsing through several forums and searching for specs, but had no success.

All I know is inside the computer came two latches looking like this:
61_1_b.JPG

That is also an image of what the heatsink looks like, dunno where the fan is.

I was thinking about just buying one of those OEM Intel heatsink/fan setups(Look nothing like the one in the pic, and has no such latches like the pic), but am not really sure if it will even fit, and if my computer will give enough airflow between the fan and teh chassi.

I honestly do not know if the computer even has a fan on top of the heatsink. No experience at all here, :\ sry.

I can post a pic of my motherboard if it would help, and provide any other information if necessary.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I was told the fan does not even come with the computer normally. Is it safe to run this without a fan and just the heatsink pictured above? Ahhh <---confused

Well, you might be able to run it like that... but I highly advise against it. CPUs use active cooling for a very good reason.

What kind of company would put together a PC and not give it an active cooler?... I expected better from compaq...

Sorry, but can you take a close up of the black plastic thing on the motherboard? Cuz thats where the heatsink goes. And check on the back to see if there are any screws/pushpins. BTW, welcome to the forums. Enjoy your stay.

Back
Top Bottom