Installing Display Drivers without Windows?

Molasseswar

Solid State Member
Is there a way to install display drivers without first booting to Windows? I think I have a display driver issue, but it seems to be freezing just after windows loads and the desktop comes up. I've no idea how to remedy this, as I don't seem to be able to a repair function on windows.

You could do it by booting into safemode and installing the drivers from there.

Yeah... I've tried booting into safe mode, but even then it loads up the login window for "administrator" or "guest" and then freezes up. I've no idea why the keyboard and mouse become unresponsive just after Windows loads, but I think it's linked to the display driver (I started to have this problem just after I attempted to swap out display drivers).

So I've tried safemode, and it still freezes. I've tried to do a windows repair, but it requires an administrator password, which I never set.

Have you tried VGA mode then?

If you never set an admin password, then leave it blank and press enter.:)

No, haven't tried VGA mode, though I'll most definitely give it a shot to see if it makes any difference.

And when I just press enter, it just returns the same command line over and over. It's clear that it wants some kind of input, I just don't know what to give it.

you are pressing the correct number for your partition first arent you, its normally 1, then you need to enter the password or leave it blank if there isnt one. Once your in it should say something like C:\WINDOWS>

Yeah, I'm selecting the correct partition (I've only got the one C drive, as far as I know).

I executed the chkdsk /p command, and then the chkdsk /r command, but even then the problem persists. I don't think the recovery console can do what I need, as the screen is still freezing upon booting windows.

Have you actually managed to boot into windows and log on since the problem started? If you havent then try last known good config. Its hard to know what else to do without knowing exactly where your getting to in the boot process. You could always do a repair install if you have an XP CD

I don't have a windows login, it just boots windows straight to the desktop. As soon as windows loads, the mouse and keyboard freeze.

I've tried using the XP cd, but the recovery console doesn't seem to do anything (I've tried the chkdsk /r command, and it didn't fix the freezing issue).

Back
Top Bottom